UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2004, 8:45 pm   #1
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.
Default Best Radio Servicing Books

Just wondered which (if any?) radio servicing books members used. Out of about 100+ books my favourites are (not counting the Newnes circuit books), 1) Radio Servicing - Vol 4-fault-Finding by G.N.Patchett, First Published 1957. 2) Wireless Servicing Manual by W.T. Cocking, Published 1950s? 3) Radio & Television Engineers' Reference Book by Hawker & Pannett, First Published 1954 is this the 'Bible' for service engineers?
Paul E
Old 12th Feb 2004, 8:55 pm   #2
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Best Radio Servicing Books

Radio and televicion Engineers reference book every time (1st or 2nd edition), mine is on my desk at work, and is still used regularly!

I also use the " Admiralty Handbook of Wireless Telegraphy 1938 " quite often - lots of useful theory that is still applicable.

" Telephony " by Herbert and Proctor (post WW2 edition) still gets used at work aswell - you have to teach these new graduates the basics of telephone signalling with something, it's good for hybrids aswell! Though I must admit that the automatic switching sections are a little out of date

For an all-round well written book, the original Air Ministry equipment handbooks are brilliant, as they cover the relevant theory aswell as the equipment - a 1944 book on VHF DF aerials solved an awful lot of problems for me a few years ago.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone know of a good modern radio textbook? The nearest I can find are things like the ARRL handook, or " Radio Communication " (the book not the magazine) published by the RSGB

Jim.
Old 12th Feb 2004, 9:19 pm   #3
Steve_Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

Apart from the two modern publications " Vintage Radios - Collecting, Servicing and Restoring " /Tony Thompson/2000 and Chas Miller's " Valve Radio and Audio Repair Handbook " /Newnes/2000, I have some older books I like:-

The three volume " Modern Practical Radio and Television " /Caxton Press/C.A. Quarrington/1951

" Radio Training Manual (for the services and the trade) " by F.J. Camm/Newnes/probably 50's

" Radio, Television and Electrical Repairs " /Odhams Press/Roy Norris/1952 (as on Paul's Discs)

and, of course, Molloy and Poole, R+TVS.

Paul's discs contains a selection of some earlier publications, too.

Steve J

Old 13th Feb 2004, 3:59 am   #4
Alan_Douglas
Retired Dormant Member

Modern text: hands down, " The Art of Electronics " by Horowitz and Hill. It's in its second edition now, I believe.
Old 14th Feb 2004, 12:23 am   #5
BlowFish
Retired Dormant Member

I too have a copy Horowitz & Hill, Other books include

Scroggies's Foundations of Wireless & Electronics (11th ed)
Valve Radio/Audio Repair Handbook Chas Miller

Theory & Design of Television Receivers Deutsch (1951)

Paul Stenning's EPE Oct 2002 Supplement

Plus some academic textbook like:
Electromagnetic Theory and Applications in Beam-wave Electronics Basu 1996

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 2nd Jan 2005 at 12:45 am.
Old 14th Feb 2004, 8:11 pm   #6
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

I use the Newnes R+TV Servicing books most of all, Babani and other valve books for operating conditions, Quarrington's Modern Practical Radio and Television for reference, and his Radio Circuits and Data for inspiration. Occasionally I refer to Hallmark's How to Repair Old Time Radios when I need another view on a fault in an old set I can't fathom.
Closed Thread