UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2018, 5:28 pm   #1
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Default DC ammeter

I would like to make a Clip on type DIRECT CURRNET ammeter, has any one a circuit diagram or could some one point me in the right direction to obtain details etc. Ted
Old 27th Apr 2018, 5:57 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: DC ammeter

You'll need a system for driving a winding on the clip on magnetic core so as to drive the field in the core to zero. You can then infer the current in the wire being monitored from the number of turns in the backoff winding and the current in it.

Detecting zero field is where it gets interesting. A simple hall effect device can be used, but the system will be a bit drifty and imprecise- probably OK for a percent or two accuracy.

Precision DCCTs (dc current transformers) use techniques such as flux gate magnetometry for the null detection- great fun!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Apr 2018, 11:52 pm   #3
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: DC ammeter

I would suggest placing a Hall device like a UG3503U in the magnetic pathway of a toroid or other split iron core. Herald1360 is bang on about the drift. Although Hall devices themselves like the UGN series are in fact based on a bridge architecture, with an internal chopper stabilized OP amp, there is still drift. But I found a way to get rid of nearly all of the drift using a "double bridge method" An extra device is cheap. I simply use two of the UGN devices, one in the magnetic circuit and one outside it for drift cancellation.

Have a look at page 4 of this article in a regulator called "The Hybrid Hall" In your case, rather than using the two transistor differential amplifier you would just feed the two Hall outputs into an op amp's inputs to make a linear current meter.

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/HISTOR...CS_ARCHIVE.pdf
Closed Thread