UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2019, 2:50 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default 'Radio Byones' Magazines - 20 full years, 1996 - 2016 to go.

Iím having a clearout and have already binned heaps of Short Wave mags, EPE and old PWs. Iíve got twenty complete years of ĎRadio Bygonesí magazines from 1996 to 2016 to dispose of, six issues per year, all except for the final year when the magazine reduced to four issues per year, before ceasing production in 2017 due to ill health of the editor, Mike Kenward.

Theyíre in nice condition and have been stored indoors.

They have to go, and I was on the point of binning them, but it seems a shame before first asking if thereís any interest on the forum. I donít want to sift through them to sort odd ones out Ė Iíve sorted them into individual complete years and £3.00 per year seems reasonable to ask, plus post. Therein lies the problem Ė I guess the postage costs make it a non starter. Two years of magazines are just under the 2KG Post Office second class post limit, so that would add £3.00 for P&P. Over that, three to ten years of magazines via My Hermes would be just under the 10kG limit, so would be £6.50, plus the magazines.

Iím quite happy if anyone is in the area and might wish to collect any to save postage costs, or via FCS.

I'd also be happy to deliver free of charge to Sheffield, Rotherham, York or more locally within 20 miles of Hull, such as Driffield, Pockington, Beverley etc.

Iím not optimistic that there will be any takers, but if they do go for recycling as paper waste, at least my conscience will be clear!

(I'm not aware that any sites such as American Radio History would want them for scanning, but if so, I'd happily donate them).

Iíll leave this open for a week to see if thereís any interest.

Thanks for reading.
Old 10th Jan 2019, 3:32 pm   #2
FIXITNOW
Octode

Default Re: 'Radio Byones' Magazines - 20 full years, 1996 - 2016 to go.

I am missing some if your happy to split so I can fill the gaps looking for
3 ,4 ,7 ,8 ,12 ,13
31 . 38
. 140 143 144 145 153 155 157 158
and 164
so 17 issues but will need posting
all the best Vince
Old 10th Jan 2019, 6:34 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

As I said in my original post Vince, though maybe I didn't make it clear enough, I don't want to split years as it would be too time consuming and I'd get in an awful mess with 120 issues to sift through, all the packing and posting of odd copies here and there, and a heap still left over. Sorry if that sounds unhelpful, bit it was for those concerns that I recently binned maybe 200 PWs SWMs, EPEs and so forth.

The RBs are all in year order. Three years have gone - 2012, 2014 & 2015 which encompasses most of what you're after.

2012 covered issues 135-140, 2014 was 147 - 152, and 2015 was 153 - 157.

The earliest issues I have are for the 1996 year, which is from issues 39 to 44.

Last edited by David G4EBT; 10th Jan 2019 at 6:46 pm.
Old 10th Jan 2019, 8:58 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi David, and a happy new year to you!

How much shelf space do these take up, approximately, please?

Nick.
Old 10th Jan 2019, 9:07 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I am missing issues from each of the years you mention, and my collection currently stops in 2002, so I would be happy to relieve you of any that have not gone elsewhere.
Old 11th Jan 2019, 12:06 am   #6
Terry_VK5TM
Heptode

Contact David at American Radio History, I think in light of what is being put up on the website, they would fit in perfectly.
Old 11th Jan 2019, 7:14 am   #7
G4XWDJim
Octode

It's amazing David how difficult it is to dispose of such expensive magazines sensibly.

I had RB from the very first issue until No 123 and recently gave them to vmars to be distributed together with boxes of PW and SWM at their February 2019 auction. Added together the cost of buying these magazines over the years is astronomical. The killer is of course the weight for postage as you so rightly say being printed on glossy paper.

Best of luck.

Jim
Old 11th Jan 2019, 7:59 am   #8
snowman_al
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
Contact David at American Radio History, I think in light of what is being put up on the website, they would fit in perfectly.
Just a note of caution here.
Radio Bygones is now incorporated into Radiophile magazine.
It might be worth checking with Chas Miller (the owner) to be sure no rights are infringed?
Alan
Old 11th Jan 2019, 8:08 am   #9
Terry_VK5TM
Heptode

Yes, of course, forgot about that.

As Alan says, best check first.
Old 11th Jan 2019, 3:56 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Hi David, and a happy new year to you!

How much shelf space do these take up, approximately, please?

Nick.
Happy New Year greetings reciprocated Nick!

Magazines are best stored flat, so I've stored these is an under-bed lidded plastic container.

I've attached a picture which shows 18 years of RBs - 108 issues. They're A4 size, in round figures, more or less 12" x 8.5" and as shown in the picture, two stacks of nine complete years side-by-side are approx. 4.5" tall, 17" wide and 12" deep. If they were to be stood upright on a bookshelf between bookends say, they'd be about 1 foot high 8.5" deep and altogether would span nine inches of bookshelf. Probably more compact than might be imagined, which is why they've been stored in a box under the bed in growing numbers from 1996 when I first subscribed to RB, through to 2016, but I really must press on with de-cluttering!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio Bygones1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	176275  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 4:44 pm   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
Just a note of caution here.
Radio Bygones is now incorporated into Radiophile magazine.
It might be worth checking with Chas Miller (the owner) to be sure no rights are infringed?
Alan
It wouldn't be possible for Radio Bygones to be put onto the Radio History website because Radiophile holds the copyright and every issue of RB from #1 right through to the last issue (#163)that was published by Wimborne Publications - Spring 2017, is available as PDF downloads from the Radiophile website. Clearly if they were to appear on the American Radio History website, though that wouldn't be done for financial gain, it could, and probably would, result in a loss of revenue to Radiophile.

Many of the magazines on the splendid A.R.H site have long since been out of print and no-one has any commercial interest in them. However, Practical Wireless still exists, and back issues are available from PW for recent years on CDROMs. As I understand it, to respect PW's commercial interests, A.R.H has not scanned those years onto the A.R.H website.

Radio Bygones was started in 1989 by the late Geoff Arnold - editor of Practical Wireless from 1977. (It was Geoff who made the editorial policy decision for PW to be exclusively about amateur radio). Many sceptics told Geoff that he'd never get enough readers to make it viable, but by making it subscription only, he had income in advance, and knew what his print run would be, so there was no wasted unsold magazines as there would have been under the ruinous 'Sale or Return' system used by magazine distributors.

By the time Geoff bowed out and Mike Kenward took over as editor in 2000, RB was well established. Sadly, Geoff passed away in Feb 2016. Mike continued to run RB until Spring 2017 when he had to call it a day due to ill health. I think by then, that subscriber numbers were declining, editorial material was dwindling and RB had dropped from six issues per year to four issues.

Rather sad, but RB did survive for 28 years, confounding the cynics who said it would never see the light of day.
Old 11th Jan 2019, 8:35 pm   #12
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
back issues are available from PW for recent years on CDROMs.
I admit this is a bit off-topic for the current thread, but is this still the case? The web site from which they were available first stopped their online sales of them and then disappeared altogether.
Old 11th Jan 2019, 9:42 pm   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Magazines can be a problem but I'm more of a reader than a constructor. The "high" total cost over the years [which you don't think about at the time anyway] is largely because of the quality. The BVWS "Gorgeous Glossy" Bulletin, Radio Bygones and Radiophile [with the hand painted Jo Miller "glamour" covers being particular examples. There are those, people who regard magazines as the transient pulp items they originated as, others who would keep them but don't have the space or whatever and the rest of us that prize them. They are like pianos really. Not worth much or wanted when you try to sell but if you want to buy? I told my Newsagent that a vintage Radio Times with the right cover can be £6-£10 from a dealer and my prices are probably years out of date now.

I'm not a died in the wool Rail Enthusiast [despite living by the ELR and an early user] but I collect the Trade Mag "Modern Railways" which documents the amazing infrastructure being built in our own time. I think they are the contemporary equivalent of The London Illustrated News from the 1800's that documented Rail and Underground "cut and cover" developments then. High quality and fascinating!! Just when everything gets digitised paper will become trendy. It was years before Art Galleries could be persuaded to show photo graphs. Deeds and Blueprints are now being thrown away wholesale. Hang on to your engineering drawings is my advice.

Dave W
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:20 pm   #14
GrahamN
Hexode

With reference to Radio Bygones, you are correct in that Chas Miller now owns the copyright, (at great expense, I might add) so putting them online wouldn't be looked on very favourably

All Radio Bygones magazines, and an ever increasing number of The Radiophile back issues are now available to purchase in PDF format from the Radiophile website. Paper copies are also intended to be available, but as sales on these are very low nowadays, there is no great impetus to get them sorted and listed.

Paper copies of these and other magazines can be freely traded of course - it's really just PDF or similar copies where there would be an issue.
Old 12th Jan 2019, 3:11 pm   #15
kan_turk
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Quote:
I admit this is a bit off-topic for the current thread, but is this still the case? The web site from which they were available first stopped their online sales of them and then disappeared altogether.
https://www.radioenthusiast.co.uk/
Old 12th Jan 2019, 3:36 pm   #16
dave walsh
Dekatron

I've got a complete run on paper Graham [or should have] including the early stapled together version. By chance, I heard about an Antiques Fair in Warrington that would have a stall for something called "The Radiophile" and [with some difficulty] tracked it down. Chas was very happy to sell me what he had and I subscribed later. No colour covers by his wife at that stage though

Dave
Old 12th Jan 2019, 4:25 pm   #17
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thank you, kan turk, for that link. It's good to know who has now taken over the sales.

Back (almost) on topic, I assume that what Dave has are Radiophile magazines rather than Radio Bygones.
Old 12th Jan 2019, 4:42 pm   #18
dave walsh
Dekatron

Yes The Radiophile indeed Dave-I should have been clearer there. I was referring to Graham's comment about paper originals being not be so much in demand anymore, which must apply [I assume] to other periodicals as well, except for people like ourselves of course, hidden behind our stacks I've always taken all three fascinating and individual publications and sadly, I now have a complete run of Radio Bygones. I regard the BVWS as the official representation of the vintage radio world though-others may disagree! If anyone has any early [probably stapled] copies of the Bulletin available, let me know.

I should say that I've absolutely nothing against the provision of a digital archive, quite the reverse. If you can't get hold of something on print or need rapid/easy search access, it's one of the many advantages of the World Wide Web compared with only 25 years ago!

Dave [W]

Last edited by dave walsh; 12th Jan 2019 at 4:56 pm.
Old 12th Jan 2019, 4:43 pm   #19
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_turk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Quote:
https://www.radioenthusiast.co.uk/
I looked at that link and Like you Ken, I could only see books for sale, and single issue PW downloads, so I went to the America Radio History site, where PW mags from 1932 to 1999 are archived, with few issues missing. You'll see at the link to the ARH site here, the statement below.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...s_Magazine.htm

Quote:

High Quality Issues on CD from the Publisher:

The files on this site are greatly compressed and optimized for web downloading. They are copy and print protected and authorized only in that fashion by the original publisher. Click on the graphic to see how to order searchable high quality CDs from the heirs to Practical Wireless. They are well worth the money if you are a serious collector. Or click on this link to order:

https://www.radioenthusiast.co.uk/st...okshop/dvd-cd/

End quote.

I clicked on that link, and lo and behold, there are the CDs of PWs from 1965 right up to 2018. Also lots of other CDs/DVDs too.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 9:01 am   #20
David G4EBT
Dekatron

These have all now been re-homed so the thread can be closed please.

Thanks Mods.
Closed Thread