UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2023, 1:44 pm   #1
John10b
Nonode

Default Eddystone 840C receiver.

Came across this in collectibles shop, no price on it.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	766CD620-4F67-42A7-8B4A-CFE9B6B577F8.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	286505  
Old 18th Oct 2023, 2:11 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Eddystone receiver.

If it works, it's probably worth around £40-£50.

It's a somewhat basic HF RX, one RF stage, one IF stage, 465KHz IF and no xtal filter so rather 'wide' in the IF (not good for SSB/CW, but OK for broadcast entertainment listening) and also prone to images above 10MHz.

B8-style 100mA valves

Also, no voltage-stabilisation for the local oscillator so on the upper HF bands the RF Gain control shifts the LO by quite a bit...

And it's AC/DC meaning potentially a 'hot' chassis.

[I have its predecessor the 840A here].
Old 18th Oct 2023, 2:55 pm   #3
John10b
Nonode

Thank you for your quick reply and technical information.
John
Old 18th Oct 2023, 3:16 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes it looks quite impressive but the performance is somewhat disappointing. I never got mine to work really well. Acceptable (just) up to about 14Mhz but beyond that....well!
Old 18th Oct 2023, 11:05 pm   #5
turretslug
Dekatron

A nice tuning drive (and this 'C' model got the clever linearising mechanism that reduces the usual scale cramping at the HF end) and neat, sturdy mechanical detailing let down by rather humdrum electronics. Still, not a bad basic SWL set if it's at the right price, bearing in mind the above caveats and particularly the AC/DC power supply arrangements- check that a previous owner hasn't defeated the chassis-to-case isolation through incorrect re-assembly!
Closed Thread