UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2021, 10:10 am   #1
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Default Garrard RC120 problem.

Good morning all, I have an issue with a Garrard RC120 mk II deck and would like to ask the Garrard experts if they have any ideas about it.
Briefly there is too much friction in the arm. More specifically in the velocity trip and its actuating lever.

I have stripped the trip down and meticulously cleaned it, I haven't brought oil anywhere near it so it is dry as it should be. I have also dismantled the actuating lever, cleaned that, even polished the 2 washers so I know they are nice and smooth. Everything works, deck cycles nicely Arm is nice and free but as soon as the arm gets a little way in (and starts to contact the trip actuating lever) records stick. I disabled the trip and played a record all the way through with no skipping or sticking and no detectable sound distortion. The cartridge I am using is a chinese flip under type and it is tracking at the upper end of it's weight at 6 grammes.
Is there something I have missed or have done wrong?

Thanks

Rob
Old 5th Feb 2021, 10:35 pm   #2
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Default Re: Garrard RC120 problem.

An update on this problem.
After trying several different combinations of bone dry, dry and polished and lightly lubricated velocity trip actuating lever whilst maintaining a completely oil free trip as per garrard instructions I have temporarioly thrown in the towel on this deck and dragged an RC121 out of my scrap pile. got it to a point where it would run and cycle correctly and tried it with a record. . . NO SKIPPING ! I did notice the velocity trip on this was covered in old grease but cleaned it off as part of getting it to run so, I will keep this deck in the Pilot player at least for now. I would still love to know why some of these seem to have a lot of friction in the trip actuating lever as I have a pristine example complete with really flexible rubber mat in an early SRP31
Closed Thread