UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2021, 1:40 am   #1
crusher19860138
Hexode

Default Coomber Cassette Problems

Hello,

I have obtained a Coomber Cassette/PA/Recorder, Model: 2240-6, it powers up, the amplifier works well, but the cassette mechanism seems stuck in the play position.
The play/record heads are fully forward as if a cassette is playing, pushing back on the mechanism returns them to the stop position, but they spring back forward as if in tension by a spring.

I don't have any mechanical experience on these decks, and i can't see what's causing this issue, maybe someone who knows these units can help?

Feeding in an auxiliary signal, the amplifier is very loud indeed!

Any help appreciated.
Old 21st Jan 2021, 2:25 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Coomber Cassette Problems

These were powerful units, I have worked on quite a few. By the model number yours may have KATR mech-6, post a picture to confirm please.
Old 21st Jan 2021, 9:25 am   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Not familiar with this, but have seen a picture.

Are the control buttons mechanical piano latching
or touch control.

If mechanical does the Play button work normally or is it
stuck in up or down position ?

David
Old 21st Jan 2021, 12:28 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

Possibly the main capstan drive belt is slipping, so not enough drive to release the mechanism back to stop mode. You can prove this by manually rotating the large flywheels, which will eventually release the mech. This assumes that it does have capstan drive and is not direct drive. Otherwise dry/sticky grease syndrome.
Dave
Closed Thread