UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2021, 2:28 pm   #1
Dukebox
Triode

Default Roberts R300 External Antenna

Hi Everyone, a newbie to the hobby here so be gentle.
I have a nice condition fully working Roberts R300 and wondered if anyone can advise me on the use of the rear antenna socket?
What is the best thing to use and where can I buy such things?
Thanks
Laurie
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 3:00 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R300 External Antenna

This was orignally intended for the use of a car radio aerial. Years ago not all cars had radio - they were very much a "luxury extra" - although they are taken for granted today. The owner would buy a "Car Radio Aerial", clip it to the roof gutter and feed the lead through a window and then plug it in. You will not really need to use this socket.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 4:09 pm   #3

If you want to try an aerial in the socket just stick a bit of wire into the middle part or get one (a car radio aerial) from Halfords https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...al-576006.html but as said you don't need one for home use. They are a nice set and perform well and given today's use of interference producing stuff (wall warts etc.) it will do better with the inbuilt aerial anyway.

Old 24th Jan 2021, 11:20 pm   #4
RHopper
Diode

Best avoid these type of simple wire antennas for AM reception in the home, as they tend to pick-up interfering electric fields, from switched mode power supplies etc. Ferrite rods are generally less noisy, as they respond more to the magnetic field and have directional properties, so the set can be rotated to null out interference and to maximize the signal strength. Often placing the set near a window helps and away from any noise sources.

For the ultimate performance, you can shield the ferrite rod against all electric fields. I have shielded using aluminium foil placed partially around the rod (being careful not to create a shorted turn) and connected the foil to ground. However, shielding is probably overkill for the reception of local signals, unless you are suffering from a lot of interference.

Another tip is to use battery operation when possible, as you decouple the set from the noisy mains supply.
Closed Thread