UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2021, 4:53 pm   #1
Bob Shaw Green
Diode

Default BSR TD2 Pinch Roller Assembly

I am refurbishing an Elizabethan Automatic with a TD2 tape deck. All going well but am puzzled about the assembly of the pinch roller. When I took it apart there was a washer, a spacer and then the pinch roller. It seems a bit odd to me as it means that the pinch roller directly contacts the tension spring. I would have thought that the washer should be directly below the roller. The service sheet I have does not show any washer at all! Has any one got any advice.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 9:02 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR TD2 Pinch Roller Assembly

Hello Bob, welcome to the Forum.

I do not know the TD2 deck and I am struggling to visualize the tension spring, a photo showing the parts would be useful.

David
Old 20th Jan 2021, 9:14 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The BSR TD10 manual shows a washer at the bottom end of the pinch roller directly above the roller spacer, I can now see the 2 spring arms on both the TD2 and the TD10.

David
Old 21st Jan 2021, 1:33 pm   #4
Bob Shaw Green
Diode

Hi David,

On my copy of the BSR Service manual I cannot see a washer at all, only the roller, spacer, shaft and the springs. You may know this but there is a YouTube video of a guy taking a TD2 apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vzjPJ3KiTc

At about 12mins in he starts taking the pinch roller assembly apart. If you watch very closely you should be able to spot a washer at the bottom of the roller and just above the spring. When I disassembled mine the washer was at the bottom of the spacer between it and the pressure lever (118). The machine has been in the family since new and as far as I know it has never that the roller replaced before. I am in two minds about which is the correct arrangement. In my arrangement the roller rests on the spring arm which does not feel right but the roller rotates freely enough.

Bob
Old 21st Jan 2021, 5:30 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes Bob, I also cannot see the washer in the TD2 manual, could be a drawing error or maybe the TD2 originally never had the washer and it was added later, the fact that your TD2 and the one in the video has a washer appears to indicate that the washer should be there on the TD2.

The TD10 manual shows the washer (item 25) on top of the roller spacer (item 26), the same position as shown in the video.

I would try the washer in that position and see if how it lines up with the spring arm and make sure it is still aligned well with the tape.

David
Old 21st Jan 2021, 9:18 pm   #6
Bob Shaw Green
Diode

Hi David.

Before I saw your reply I had reassembled it as I found it i.e. with the washer at the bottom and I have now run the machine. When it is stopped the pinch roller drops and rests on the spring but when it is running the roller rides up and seems to sit midway between the two springs and it works fine. So will probably leave it like that unless I get a problem.

Thanks for your interest and advice.

Bob
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 12:04 pm   #7
garry71
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Shaw Green View Post
Hi David.

Before I saw your reply I had reassembled it as I found it i.e. with the washer at the bottom and I have now run the machine. When it is stopped the pinch roller drops and rests on the spring but when it is running the roller rides up and seems to sit midway between the two springs and it works fine. So will probably leave it like that unless I get a problem.

Thanks for your interest and advice.

Bob
That sounds about right with the roller riding up and down a bit. I've just looked at my Ferguson, and the roller has about 2mm of play in between the two spring arms.
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 12:45 pm   #8
Bob Shaw Green
Diode

Hi All,

My current theory is that the correct place for the washer is at the bottom and it is to stop the spacer potentially getting jammed in the slot in the arm which allows the roller to move backwards and forwards.

Thanks
Bob
Closed Thread