UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2020, 12:15 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Unusual Fibre Optic Lamp

I was given this lamp for Christmas- and I don't think I've ever seen one like it so I thought I'd share a few photos. There's no maker's mark on it anywhere and the wooden base with it's unsecured sliding-up perspex cover has an almost home-made look to it. The base contains only a transformer and there is a 'Gilbert' branded rotary on/off switch in the mains lead, which terminates in an old plug bearing a Woolworths price label for 37p.

Each of the lamp's five 'branches' terminates in a bayonet bulbholder with 12v rated bulb. The capsule that fits over this contains a colour filter before the optic fibre spray, so each 'branch' is a different colour.

I wondered if this lamp was of US origin, but it has a UK transformer fitted in the base and no sign of other holes to suggest that it replaced a 110v unit.

Whatever the origins, it's a fantastic addition to my period decor.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FO1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	223229   Click image for larger version

Name:	FO2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	223230   Click image for larger version

Name:	FO3.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	223231   Click image for larger version

Name:	FO4.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	223232   Click image for larger version

Name:	FO5.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	223233  

Old 27th Dec 2020, 12:32 pm   #2
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Default Re: Unusual Fibre Optic Lamp

https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no01-1973-74 Page 36 -37, item 35. I went almost straight to it, remembering them in my Grandmothers' Argos Catalogue from Childhood!
Old 27th Dec 2020, 12:55 pm   #3

Quote:
Woolworths price label for 37p.
Seven and six in real money!

Old 27th Dec 2020, 1:25 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

There used to be quite a lot of those on sale when fiber comm's cables were first introduced. There used to be plenty of fiber that did not quite make the grade that ended up being part of domestic lighting.
Old 27th Dec 2020, 1:45 pm   #5
Colourstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberfingers View Post
https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no01-1973-74 Page 36 -37, item 35. I went almost straight to it, remembering them in my Grandmothers' Argos Catalogue from Childhood!
Fantastic! What a memory you have!

Judging by the catalogue photo I could do with taking my lamp to the local hairdressers for a bit of re-styling. A bit of shampoo and conditioner might get those fibres them back into shape!

Steve
Old 27th Dec 2020, 1:46 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

There is a risk that it might get split ends.
Closed Thread