UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2007, 7:36 pm   #1
jgj6331
Retired Dormant Member

Default Marconi 55

I have acquired a Marconi 55 and need some information on this set. I would also like to operate it, but I am unfamiliar with some of the terminology - "H.T., G.B.,Low tension accumulator, etc." What will I need to properly operate this radio? Is this radio of any value? Thanks...
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 7:44 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Marconi 55

You can get the Service Sheet for this model by clicking the link at the top right of this page. It's listed as a Marconiphone 55.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 7:44 pm   #3
paulsherwin

HT = High Tension = B battery
Low Tension Accumulator = A battery
GB = Grid Bias - I think this is a C battery in American usage.

Sorry, I don't know the radio.

Paul
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 7:58 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

The Marconi 55 dates from 1929 so should have a reasonable value if in original condition:-

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/marconi...iphone_55.html

Regards, Mick.
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 9:53 pm   #5
jgj6331
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies... A followup - what voltage would be used for the 'low tension accumulator' ? I am not knowledgeable of the filament requirements of Marconi Valves. The other required voltages are indicated in a diagram on the inside back of the radio and can be supplied by my homebrew voltage adapter.
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 10:19 am   #6
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

The standard low tension voltage for this period was 2 volts, that of one lead-acid cell, The valve type numbers would give a clue.

Regards, Mick.
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 2:41 pm   #7
jgj6331
Retired Dormant Member

The 5 valve line-up includes: P215, L210, ? HL2/C, HL210(x2)... The ?HL2/C is not labelled directly (perhaps worn off) but shown on the diagram in the back where there may be a typographical error... Thanks.
Old 24th Oct 2007, 8:50 pm   #8
jgj6331
Retired Dormant Member

I lashed up the Marconi with a power supply and it does work - I received a few local stations during the day and even the 'Grand Old Opery' in Nashville at night - station WSM - about 500km away. I would imagine it's the first time this radio has wailed about with country music. The MW range is limited and not much over here in LW but airport beacons and such. Is LW still used for commercial radio in EU?

I would like to build up a battery assembly to use in it - the HT will be easy to make up with 9v batteries and the GB with 1.5v torch cells. We really don't have a 2v cell - perhaps I can adjust 3v with a proper resistor or rheostat.

The battery wires are somewhat ruined and will have to be replaced - unfortunately, the rubber-coated wire is not readily available here and I'll probably have to make do with similar plastic coated wire.
Old 24th Oct 2007, 9:13 pm   #9
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Well done for getting it working! A suitable modern equivalent for the 2 volt accumulator would be one of these "Cyclon" 2 volt cells, available in various capacities:-

http://www.enersysreservepower.com/s...p?routine=scpf

Regards, Mick.
Old 25th Oct 2007, 11:13 am   #10
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgj6331 View Post
I would like to build up a battery assembly to use in it - the HT will be easy to make up with 9v batteries and the GB with 1.5v torch cells.
I have some images of Ever Ready HT and GB batteries, that can be printed out and made into replicas. PM me your email address if you want them

David
Old 25th Oct 2007, 12:44 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgj6331 View Post
The battery wires are somewhat ruined and will have to be replaced - unfortunately, the rubber-coated wire is not readily available here and I'll probably have to make do with similar plastic coated wire.
Silicone-insulated wire looks and feels similar and is fairly readily available, apparently in a range of colours, from RS etc.
Closed Thread