UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2019, 3:13 pm   #1
GaryReggae
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pressure pads

Hi,

A bit of a generic question rather something specific, the pressure pads for holding the tape against the heads on several of my early 60s machines are pretty knackered, I very much doubt there any spares available so what's the best material to use for making replacements? Some kind of felt or foam like the self adhesive strips used for draught-proofing windows? I'm working on a Collaro Studio deck at the moment but I guess this would apply to any machines of that vintage.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 4th May 2019, 7:38 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Pressure pads

You could try a piano repairer or parts supplier.
Old 4th May 2019, 8:36 pm   #3
BillDWVA
Pentode

Do a search for piano tuning felt. It is generally red in colour but makes good pressure pads when cut into little cubes and epoxied onto the original pressure arms.

Bill
Old 4th May 2019, 10:36 pm   #4
ricard
Octode

I use self-adhesive felt that can be bought in rectangular sheets, intended to be used for furniture to avoid marring the floor. I then cut it to shape using a pair of scissors. I don't think it's used for windows anymore (that seems to be the job of self-adhesive rubber strips).
Closed Thread