UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2008, 3:43 pm   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default EverReady model 'K' battery portable

This battery set looked so forlorn resting on the ground at the boot sale that I decided to rescue it for the sake of £5. The tuning scale plate had become detached so the top panel had to be dismantled to allow old glue to be removed and fresh glue applied. The chassis was withdrawn (not without some damage to the frame aerial – stray screw between it and the case!). The tuning and wavechange knobs came off but not the volume knob, this had to be dremmeled-out and a brass bush turned, internally threaded to 4BA, and fitted into the now enlarged grub screw hole. Once the scale plate had been re-fitted, the panel was replaced along with the knobs. The tufnol handle had to be re-threaded on one side as the later “Mr Bodger” wood screw fitment had become loose! The rexine case covering was re-glued and cleaned down, it was beginning to look like a transformation.
Starting to look good now, so the chassis was tackled. Just a faint hum was audible so the supply decoupling electrolytic was replaced. There was no change so the coupling capacitors (which were a mixture of waxies and disc ceramics) were replaced. The set still remained silent. Upon examination, the output transformer had an open circuit primary, so a replacement was fitted. Still no output so the DL94 was replaced with an available DL96. Now we had full volume from the six inch speaker as both long and medium wave sprang to life. I was amazed how good the DL96 performed considering that its heater current is a fraction of that of a DL94.
As a finishing touch, I decided to make a battery box to the same dimensions as the original B103 with a British 4 pin valve base for the supply plug to connect to.
Just a word of warning for anyone tackling these sets. There is an error on the trader service sheet (No1098). The chassis plan shows the detector/AF amp marked as V4 and the output pentode marked as V3, just ignore this and go by the chassis wiring. In addition, the wiring plan shows all coupling caps as waxies, however on this model half are disc ceramics including tone correction and THAT capacitor. I am certain that these were an original fit since the PVC insulation and solder joints were undisturbed.
All in all, a great little set which you can take anywhere to show off its performance as well as its art deco trimmings.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ever1.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	21253   Click image for larger version

Name:	ever2.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	21254   Click image for larger version

Name:	ever3.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	21255   Click image for larger version

Name:	ever4.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	21256  
Old 13th Nov 2008, 3:59 pm   #2
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: EverReady model 'K' battery portable

Well done Neil, a good fivers worth, very tidy work, lots of patience soldering all the battery links

Geof
Old 13th Nov 2008, 4:07 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: EverReady model 'K' battery portable

Very nice work, Neil. I remember listening to these old sets as a young boy, when holidaying on Wallis' caravan camp, Cayton Bay, Yorkshire coast. I've always had a soft spot for them, though so far I've not come across one for restoration.
I like your battery box too.
-Tony
Old 13th Nov 2008, 5:36 pm   #4
newlite4
Octode

Thank you both for your replies. Yes Geoff, although time consuming , it occurred to me that it would be better to solder the batteries together since it eliminates possible high resistance points which could result if using battery snaps or snapping the batteries together. Tony, I have often looked at these sets at events and have almost been bitten, this time it got me . They are satisfying sets to work on and come up nice (although the multicoloured scale would look great with some illumination), also, if things go wrong, it is not too disasterous.
Neil
Old 13th Nov 2008, 7:38 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Very well done Neil,
Its not worth a lot and that's what I like about your restoration. Done for the pleasure and excitement of restoring a receiver rather than 'whats it worth' culture. A very tidy job and a grand conclusion. All the best. John.
Old 13th Nov 2008, 8:39 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

Very nice!

Yours must be a later model than mine, the valve line-up is different (DK91-DF91-DAF91-DL92). And the DL92 has a different pinout to the DL96 (haven't checked against the DL94).
Old 13th Nov 2008, 9:26 pm   #7
michamoo
Hexode

Reminds me of my Grans Sky queen when i was a tidler.
Old 14th Nov 2008, 2:16 pm   #8
batterymaker1
Heptode

Nice resto. Given the size of the cabinet, it probably puts out very good tone.
Old 14th Nov 2008, 3:21 pm   #9
newlite4
Octode

Yes Bill, its surprisingly good actually. In the past, I have tended to prefer mains sets, but recently I have discovered just how good these battery sets are.
Neil
Old 14th Nov 2008, 6:16 pm   #10
Aerodyne
Octode

No mains hum, at least! I think the loudspeakers are pretty sensitive. The other thing about them - well, certainly the later the Sky Queen model - is that they are lightly constructed (flimsy might be a better word) and I guess you can forgive Ever Ready for that as they WERE meant to be portable, but with those massive batteries the weight was considerable.
I remember picking up the sets from the cycle and social cycle hire shed at the caravan camp. They were piled high and we had to pay a fee above the rental cost which was returned to us at the end of the week when we surrendered the radio. I recall they worked very well in the caravans, pulling in Radio Luxembourg with no trouble. Probably the coastal location helped.
I really must get one for myself!
-Tony
Closed Thread