UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2008, 5:57 pm   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default Ferguson 626 BT

Something about this set made me take it from the "scrap 4 process" pile and put it in the
"take pity on it" pile - I guess it was something to do with the fact it needs no mains cable and has VHF !
In fact, refurbishing it was a couple of hours work only, so it's a bit of a cheat for a true "success story"
I simply pulled off the knobs, thankfully not welded to the shafts, removed the chassis ( yes it has one and not a PCB in sight ) , which is held to the case by a couple of screw down metal bearers and the whole thing slid out.
I then stripped out the tuning dial and baffle for cleaning. The dial was washed and polished with IPA, as normal and the speaker baffle was cleaned with VANISH Oxy action to remove the worst of the staining.
The cabinet, although filthy was in remarkably good nick under the grime. All it needed was a couple of coats of teak oil, left to soak in, and then a good buff with a duster.
Just for good measure I added a coat of brown beeswax polish to protect the surface.
It is now very glossy, not accurately portrayed in the after photo.
The FERGUSON badge looked dull, so I carefully pried it from the baffle and gave it a good scrub with metal polish ad replaced it ( having more than a spot of bother relocating the original holes ! )
The rear cover, which contains the pop open battery compartment was freshened up with some Mr. Sheen.

The only elecrical work, if you can call it that was a noisy tone pot which was sprayed with deoxit.

Inside the set, I found a manufacturer's service sheet. It says the set takes a PP10
Never heard of that one ! A PP9 fits fine and it works a treat on one of these. Remarkably loud too, for something like half a watt. Not a lot of Bass, but you can't have everything !
I'm still taken aback when I switch on and there's instant sound.
The size of the set tells you this can't be right !!!

I wonder if it will fit in my picnic hamper next year....... Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	626bt before.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	21170   Click image for larger version

Name:	626BT two RED.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	21171  
Old 11th Nov 2008, 12:09 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 626 BT

Hello Andy,

Delighted to see that one looking so good, and ready to face another 48 years As mentioned before, I have the HMV version (1421) released a month earlier with I expect the same chassis, the first transistor table model with FM - the redundant B9A valveholder on the FM tuner head betrays its innovatory nature. The PP10's connector was a two-pin socket, and to be sure it wasn't a popular battery: I think in effect it was three PP9s in parallel. One big early HMV transistor portable I've a fondness for, the 2104, has a reversible plug with PP10 pins on one side and PP9 snaps on the other, and a strap to hold the smaller battery in place when chosen.

Regards,
Paul
Old 11th Nov 2008, 12:31 am   #3
yestertech
Nonode

Paul, thanks for the update on the PP10 - I guess there won't be much playing time on the humble PP9 then. This set has had the leads extended and only has the PP9 snaps fitted to the end.
I laughed at the empty B9A holder, looking for all the world like someone had swiped the ECC85 !

Andy
Old 11th Nov 2008, 2:17 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Andy,

As you'd not heard of the PP10 I've attached an image of one. As Paul says, it was effectively three PP9's in parallel.

The B9A socket was used during the setting-up the FM department at the factory. This was not uncommon on battery operated tabletop FM radios.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PP10.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	21182  
Old 11th Nov 2008, 2:35 am   #5
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hi Andy,

You've done a super clean-up job there on the case, it looks really excellent!

What an unusual set too, looking for all the world to have a valve chassis. Obviously built at a time when the manufacturer was uncertain as to the public's response to those new transistor 'things', and so played it safe by producing a familiar design. Possibly also to use up parts left over from earlier model runs too.

Regarding the PP10, as shown in Darren's picture, its dimensions were 224mm x 62mm x 49mm. I haven't actually seen an original of this battery type in the flesh, but I do have a scan of the opened out cover of one.

A first-class job, well done!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 11th Nov 2008, 2:58 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

For interest's sake here's the HMV version, showing as was generally the case "badge engineering" tolerably well disguised.

Nice to see Darren's image of a PP10. I remember buying one, which would have been in about 1970: I don't think they were in the shops for long after that. Roberts' early '60s RT7 and RT8 models probably accounted for most of what market there was for them, and only about five thousand of each of those were made.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008_11100036A.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	21183  
Old 11th Nov 2008, 12:17 pm   #7
yestertech
Nonode

Wow, thanks for the mine of useful info. chaps. 3 x PP9s in parallel huh ? Not one to try out on your tongue ! Must've been incredibly expensive. The PP10 shape does explain the large but 'uniftted' battery compartment though !
The HMV version is amazing, lookiing even MORE like a valve set than this one !

Andy
Old 11th Nov 2008, 12:59 pm   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Well, the PP10 would have cost a bit, but nothing to shock a generation who were used to buying B136s and B103s and the like. Just checked 'Radio! Radio!' and it looks as though the 626BT only enjoyed a year in production, from July 1960, before being displaced as Ferguson's PP10-consuming AM/FM table model by this one. Which, depending how you look at it, is a box with a decorative wedge effect, or a wedge with a decorative box effect

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008_11110021A.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	21185   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_11110022A.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	21186  
Old 11th Nov 2008, 2:16 pm   #9
batterymaker1
Heptode

The original finish looks great--nice warm tone.

So, the chassis is all point-to-point wiring? Sounds like something Zenith would've done over here!
Old 11th Nov 2008, 6:37 pm   #10
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Looking good ,glad to see it being loved .what does the chassis look like ?
Old 13th Nov 2008, 2:56 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Like Chipp, I'm so glad you saved this very unusual set.

I also like this kind of straightforward, "scrap pile - to - perfectly presentable" restoration, just right for this kind of radio.

Keep up the good work, Andy,

Nick.
Closed Thread