UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2008, 3:12 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default straightening out bent/lumpy trim?

I am in the process of restoring a 1970s music centre which I found in a skip in quite a bad way. there was a thin piece of aluminium trim along the front top edge which had been removed and bent in two which I need to restore. I have managed to reattach it and straighten it a fair bit by hand but there is still visible damage, so any tips gratefully received. I haven't yet tried to do more for fear of making it worse than it is!

I have attached a pic.

cheers. Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sanyo2 dint.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	15346   Click image for larger version

Name:	sanyo6 autoch.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	15347  
Old 19th Feb 2008, 5:32 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: straightening out bent/lumpy trim?

If you can get behind it, Ben, try resting it on some thin foam and find something to use as a roller to 'roll out' the raised dents on the underside. A bit of metal bar, maybe.
I have a load of scrap video pinch rollers I saved from a previous life, to use for such as this.
Old 19th Feb 2008, 7:14 pm   #3
Leon Crampin
Octode

As the damage appears to be confined to the top "right angle" section, another possibility might be to cut this out and replace it with a section of extruded aluminium. This is available in a wide variety of sizes and a brushed effect can be obtained with a new nylon pan scrubber and soapy water. Obviously you could not replicate the texture of the original material by this means, but an accepable repair without kinks should be possible.

Leon.
Old 19th Feb 2008, 8:54 pm   #4
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Ben.

I also require a sheet of brushed aluminium trim and I found a company that can hopefully make it, and probably make you a new piece of trim too. The only web site I can find for them is an ebay store - I think I am going to get hung, draw, quartered, chastised and infracted just for mentioning the link, so if it's unacceptable to the mods then please delete it. (It's only a link to the shop, and not any particular product though.)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ringwood-Precision-Engineering

I hope this helps, Ben.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 20th Feb 2008, 12:16 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

Thank you all very much for the ideas. for the moment I'd like to keep to the original piece for authenticity, as it has the model number on it and the damage isn't THAT bad, so will probably attempt Mike P's pinch roller trick ! As a last resort I would try what Mikey405 suggests - handy to know of those people so thanks for the link!

cheers. Ben
Closed Thread