UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2019, 8:49 pm   #1
JanWra1
Tetrode

Default AR88 screws thread again

H i guys,

I searched for info abt the threads on the 4 screw holding the receiver to the cabinet. Found a thread from abt 2012 that stated that the thread is UNF 12-24 and Henry Rogers stated the same on his website.

However on mine the threads are UNF 12-32 and the cabinet is manufactured by Am. Cabinet Hardware Corp, Rockford Ill. (Pic 1 & 2)

Was the cabinet produced by more than on manufacturer and if so did they use different threads? In addition did they use different kind of screws?
On mine the screws are chrome plated. (Pic 3)

Appreciate your comments

Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AR88 cabinet.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	176745   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR88 cabinet manufacturer.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	176746   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR88 cabinet screw.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	176747  
Old 19th Jan 2019, 9:31 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: AR88 screws thread again

Cabinet Hardware sounds like that is the maker of the catch, not necessarily the maker of the cabinet.

David
Old 19th Jan 2019, 9:52 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The AR88 cases I've used have all had "cage nuts" - these are available in various styles and easily spring out and re-insert to match the threads of the screws you want to have visible on the front.

See https://www.networkcomputing.com/dat...67960/page/0/1

The only difference from this is the "Hubbell rack" screw/nut that you find in data-centres/phone-exchanges - but these are #12-24 x 5/8-inch on 23-inch centres and won't handle your AR88 without some additional infrastructure.
Old 20th Jan 2019, 12:00 pm   #4
JanWra1
Tetrode

Thanks your comments which points out another difference in my case: There are no cage nuts but small Angle irons welded on the inside and drilled and threaded for 12-32. Does this give you any further clues?

Re American Cabinet hardware: Seems David is right abt this as found a website that gives the entire story of this company and seems like they only made stuff like hinges and other stuff for the cabinets.

Jan
Old 28th Feb 2019, 6:38 pm   #5
usradcoll1
Heptode

That #12 hardware was never that common, even in the US. It seemed to be used only on equipment built for the US Government.
You'd almost swear that there would be something closer in the metric range of hardware.
Dave, usradcoll1.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 6:48 pm   #6
barrymagrec
Octode

My Zeus book gives 12-24 as #12 ANC but 12-32 is too fine for #12 ANF - possibly there was an ANEF thread just as there is now UNEF thread.
Old 1st Mar 2019, 7:52 am   #7
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
My Zeus book gives 12-24 as #12 ANC but 12-32 is too fine for #12 ANF - possibly there was an ANEF thread just as there is now UNEF thread.
The 'Machinery's Screw Thread Book' does list both a No12 -32 ANEF thread and a No12-32 UNEF American thread, very slight differences.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thread.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	179220  
Old 1st Mar 2019, 11:30 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

Here's some extracts dealing with US screw threads from the roughly contemporaneous 1942 edition of "Machinery's Handbook".

It can be seen that the present UNC, UNF and UNEF ranges generally correspond with the S.A.E. NC, NF and EF standards. While 12-32 existed, at that time it was not part of the S.A.E. EF (UNEF) series, but was instead in the S.A.E. special pitch series.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1942 US threads.pdf (950.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 3:15 am   #9
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Here's some extracts dealing with US screw threads from the roughly contemporaneous 1942 edition of "Machinery's Handbook".

It can be seen that the present UNC, UNF and UNEF ranges generally correspond with the S.A.E. NC, NF and EF standards. While 12-32 existed, at that time it was not part of the S.A.E. EF (UNEF) series, but was instead in the S.A.E. special pitch series.
Thanks! I loaded in the "Documents" file.
Closed Thread