UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2018, 6:41 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default PK232MBX radio connector

I hope this counts as 'vintage' even though there's a Z80 microprocessor inside.

One of the things I bought at last weekend's CATS rally was a PK232MBX Packet/RTTY/etc unit. I've downloaded the user and technical manuals and it seems to work.

However I didn't get any cables with it. There are a pair of 5 pin headers (called 'Molex connectors in the manual) for connecting to 2 radios (audio in, audio out, PTT, Squelch, Ground). What I want to know is what the _original_ socket to fit these was. There are many things that could be made to fit, of course. The manual implies it was a right-angled connector (cable exits downwards or something similar) so I am wondering if it was an IDC socket like this one :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/idc-connectors/5437744/

(which isn't actually Molex)
Old 25th Nov 2018, 6:58 pm   #2
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: PK232MBX radio connector

I've taken a couple of low definition photos which might help. I see you have the handbook on disk, might be worth having a look in there to see if the Molex connector is mentioned?

My PK232MBX is sitting in the loft but must give it a try on RTTY sometime. Best software for it was XpWare, IMO.

Cheers

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070438.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	173394   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070439.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	173395  
Old 25th Nov 2018, 7:03 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Thanks. It is an IDC socket, then. I sort-of recognise it (having come across similar ones when repairing floppy disk drives), I just need to indentify just what it is.

Various companies seem to sell cables for this unit with a variety of connectors on the PK232 end (any of which would fit), hence me trying to identify the original one.
Old 25th Nov 2018, 7:10 pm   #4
barrymagrec
Octode

Something like this?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/idc-connectors/5437687/

Molex KK is similar.

Check the pitch - your picture looks larger than 0.1"
Old 25th Nov 2018, 7:11 pm   #5
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

I had a look at the cable but there's nothing marked, it's one of the two cables that came with the PK232, so it's original and I think the colour code is the same as in the manual. The manual just says Molex but I think you're right about floppy drives having similar plugs you could cut down.

Hope that helps a little.

XpWare is here:- http://www.glaswerks.com/xpware/

Cheers

Roger
Old 25th Nov 2018, 7:23 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I'm not going to raid one from a floppy drive, if only because the drives I remember containing them are in machines that are part of my collection. Still operational.

I can easily order those connectors (and the covers) from RS of course. I hope I can fit the cable to them without the proper tool (as it is not exactly cheap) but we shall see. That would be a problem with a connnector taken from a floppy drive too, of course. The other way is to find a (straight) solder/crimp terminal housing that will fit. Maybe Molex KK254 series?
Closed Thread