UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2016, 10:28 pm   #1
georgeek
Triode

Default Removing Cambridge International knobs

The service sheet for my Cambridge International says I need to pull off the knobs to remove the chassis, which is obvious on inspection

The thing is that they don't pull off even with a really good pull. Any more force and I think I may damage them....

Any tips much appreciated.
Old 21st Mar 2016, 10:52 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Knobs Off?

Lever them off from inside (end of knob) with a large screwdriver and a block of wood of a suitable size to take up slack with the chassis. DO NOT apply force to the wood case or the large part of knob. I don't think there are grub screws on the PE80 but just check in case One of the knobs may be on a shaft extension, just slacken screw on that one and withdraw knob with shaft still attached.

John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 21st Mar 2016 at 10:56 pm. Reason: added last line
Old 21st Mar 2016, 11:11 pm   #3
Goldieoldie
Octode

Default Re: Knobs Off?

If you can slither a thin piece of cloth behind the knob then gather it up so the pull load is spread evenly .Ive used this method successfully
Cheers Pete
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 9:52 am   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Removing Cambridge International knobs

I often use Pete's method, where room is tight but in this set you can with care use a approximately 25mm x 25mm say 30cm long piece of wood with a screwdriver taking care not to catch any of the fine control wires. One in place do not move the wood just the screwdriver. The shaft extensions I was thinking of are for the Hacker RV14 volume control not the PE80.

John.
Old 25th Mar 2016, 5:09 pm   #5
georgeek
Triode

Default Re: Removing Cambridge International knobs

Thank you!
Closed Thread