UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2015, 6:50 am   #1
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Vintage computers - especially Sord

I've been working on this site for a while - the domain was registered something like 6 years ago, and I had a big push in 2013 to start writing content.

It's still very much a work in progress, but today I've added some information about my Commodore CBM8032 and VIC-20 to what I'd already written about SORD. Hopefully it won't be another two years until I add more!

http://www.sord.co.nz
Old 11th Apr 2015, 7:55 am   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Vintage computers - especially Sord

Fascinating Andrew.

Never had and dealing with SORD so all news to me.

Out of interest did machines like the Nascom, Tangerine and Newbear have any impact in NZ?

Cheers

Mike T
Old 11th Apr 2015, 9:11 am   #3
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Out of interest did machines like the Nascom, Tangerine and Newbear have any impact in NZ?
I hadn't heard of any of them, and have just looked them up. The Nascom and Newbear were probably before my time, and I hadn't come across the Tangerine before.

From a NZ perspective, the main UK computers we saw were Sinclair in the home market and BBC/Acorn in education, with a few Amstrads thrown in.
Old 11th Apr 2015, 9:52 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Did the 'Science of Cambridge' Mk14 make it over there?

Regarded as Clive Sinclair's first 'computer' product (produced 2-3 years before the ZX80, before the Sinclair name started to be used on computers, it was only available as a kit for 39.95 GBP, so it was aimed squarely at the electronics hobbyists who could put it together).

As usual for Sinclair it was pared down to meet an immovable price point, so it was just a simple microprocessor development system with a notoriously bad keypad. This in turn led to very few surviving with their original keypad present and intact, so those which did are the most collectable / valuable ones now.

More here:

http://mymk14.co.uk/paulRobson/index.htm
Closed Thread