UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2014, 5:33 am   #1
XKROME7
Retired Dormant Member

Default PAL System compatibility issue

I would appreciate very much if someone could clarify a technical query I have in regards to an old JVC product, model no: JX-C7 Video Corrector unit (photos attached). I have seen this used product for sale and I've been informed this unit was purchased originally in Germany.

The unit has power rating of 220V 50HZ with a EU mains plug and being a German sold product, as far as I am aware the German PAL system is B/G and the UK PAL system is PAL I

My purpose for this unit is to be AV connected in between a VCR and a DVD Recorder to adjust for video picture and colour correction, hence therefore my question is would there be a PAL AV compatibility issue here ?? OR is this purely for RF modulation purposes only ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	99673   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 D.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	99674  
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 11:11 am   #2
Nicklyons2
Octode

Default Re: PAL System compatibility issue

The B/G vs I is an issue only where rf modulation is involved. With regard to 'baseband video' i.e. CVBS or composite, it has no meaning. I would imagine that the unit will be OK running on a 230/240 volt supply but, if there is a mains tapping adjustment and you feel confident to change it, then you could adjust it to 240V.

Just a note; if you have some 'sell through' videos which have Macrovision or similar protection and you wish to copy these, this unit may not remove the 'anti-copy' component if you have a fussy DVD recorder and you'll get the "no record of copyright material" screen.
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 12:38 pm   #3
XKROME7
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks my friend for clarifying those points to me.

As for the Macrovision issue, I did have this in mind and was thinking if I was to have this unit, I would need to insert a Macrovision decoder prior to this Video Corrector if I was to copy such 'anti-copy' video signals.
Old 6th Nov 2014, 10:20 pm   #4
ntscuser
Hexode

I think you'll find many retailers are unwilling to sell a unit for the specific purpose of removing Macrovision after receiving legal threats.

What you should ask for is a "video stabilising unit" which does exactly the same thing but avoids accusations of copyright infringement.
Closed Thread