UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2014, 6:54 pm   #1
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Default How does the ARR-2 Homing receiver work?

I have just obtained a ARR-2 homing receiver. I didn't know anything about it but was interesting, it would look nice with my ARC-5 collection and importantly, it has a dynomotor with it.

Can anyone explain to me how the circuit works and also how these were used in the field.

Many thanks

Nick
Old 13th Oct 2014, 7:44 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: How does the ARR-2 Homing reciever work

See: http://navy-radio.com/manuals/94200/94200.1-3-03.pdf

I'm thinking this is probably a sort of equivalent of the Rebecca/Eureka kit.
Old 14th Oct 2014, 7:21 am   #3
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it does not offer much as to any explanations.

Nick
Old 14th Oct 2014, 8:38 am   #4
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

There's been a lot of discussion of the ARR-2 on the ARC5 forum. This is a forum which covers any US vintage military radio kit, not devoted just to the ARC5, and is well-worth joining IMHO.

http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/arc5

Andy
Old 14th Oct 2014, 10:08 pm   #5
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Default Re: How does the ARR-2 Homing receiver work?

Thanks Andy,

I was not aware of this forum, I'll subscribe to it.

Regards

Nick
Old 15th Oct 2014, 2:51 am   #6
echelon
Tetrode

I find the ARC-5 wiki entry intriguing on this matter, but not as clarifying (for me) as might be hoped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homing adaptors and VHF

The broadcast band receiver in all of these command sets is intended to host a homing adapter for the Navy ZB/YE homing system. The homing adapter demodulates a signal near 246 MHz that is modulated with a broadcast band carrier. The output is sent to the broadcast band receiver tuned to the modulating frequency to further demodulate the carrier for voice messages or for a Morse code letter indicating to the pilot his bearing from the homing transmitter. All broadcast band receivers came with a power adapter to supply power to the homing adapter. The adapter under the Navy nomenclature system is the ZB-series. The identical unit under JAN nomenclature is the AN/ARR-1. This system was used by both the Navy extensively and the Army much less so. To put the system into operation on the aircraft, the beacon band receiver would be replaced in the rack by the broadcast band receiver. The antenna post is connected to the output of the homing adapter, and a power cable is connected from the homing adapter to the broadcast band receiver. The normal control that had been used for the beacon band receiver also serves this homing system without further reconfiguration.

Western Electric developed the AN/ARR-2, an all-in-one homing receiver that replaced the broadcast band receiver and external homing adapter and had other enhancements as well. The R-4A/ARR-2 uses the same dynamotor as the AN/ARC-5 sets, fits in the same racks, and can be controlled by special AN/ARC-5 control boxes. The AN/ARR-2 replaced the earlier R-24/ARC-5 and R-1/ARR-1 combo in AN/ARC-5 installations.
Old 15th Oct 2014, 8:26 pm   #7
NickG0HIK
Hexode

It's starting to become clearer.

From what I can see it's a M.W. TRF RX with a VHF converter in front.

It's interesting that the Japanese could not resolve the information and only heard a hiss. Also that different CW idents were transmitted every 30 degrees of arc.

All seems very clever and I'm looking forward to learning more.

Nick
Closed Thread