UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2014, 7:59 pm   #41
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Identify vintage Radar components

Interesting that when I worked on AA Radar No.3 Mk.7 they ran off ran off the 50Hz mains supply (maybe 3 phase) as there was no companion petrol generator set in use.

I do remember the EMERS were about a foot thick !!
Old 1st Oct 2014, 8:56 pm   #42
trh01uk
Octode

Bob,

yes, well if I had the complete EMER set, they would be a foot thick. I have just O192 - tech description - so its a mere 2".

You are quite right that the basic supply is 50c/s 230V 3 phase - min power 12kVA! But a couple of the subsidiary generators are 80V 1500c/s, which is interesting in the context of this thread. We noted that this supply type originated with the airborne radar equipment during WWII, but it subsequently crept into equipment like this, that you would expect to be quite happy on 50c/s supplies.

Richard
Old 1st Oct 2014, 10:16 pm   #43
BobGreen
Retired Dormant Member

Yes 12KVA is no surprise considering the Aircon in the cabin to stop the operators from melting with the door closed. I see no use for the 1500Hz supply as even the magslips worked with 50Hz and the servos were DC. What fun I had locking on to RAF jets that wiggled about to shake off the tracking!
Old 3rd Oct 2014, 4:18 pm   #44
jon7540
Retired Dormant Member

Richard

Most interesting. Please see attached photo of Amplifier Unit underside view - looks like an exact replica to me. I've included underside views of the two other chassis as well just in case you come across any more drawings.

I see that on 31 July 2012 a Radar Handbook was ebay'd by g4xwd with the following description:

"ARMY EMER - EQUIPMENT RADAR F.A. No 1 Mk 1 October 1946. This EMER, TELS 382, almost A4 in size is a detailed technical book covering the operation of this mobile vehicular radar set up. There are many circuit diagrams, drawings and parts lists with what appears to be full working descriptions of their operation. This is a book, that true to its just post war origins packs a lot of information into its pages. There looks to be 93 pages in this book but due to the method of numbering it is not possible to be exact without carefully counting. It is in good fully readable condition but is a little dirty and dog eared. Some pages have pencilled notes added. There is no binder but the pages are punched ready so would be easy enough to bind".

Unfortunately the buyer's contact details are private; it might have provided a few more details on the other gear.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underside-view-amps.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	98297   Click image for larger version

Name:	underside-view-indicator-s.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	98298   Click image for larger version

Name:	underside-view-psu-s.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	98299  
Old 3rd Oct 2014, 10:17 pm   #45
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon7540 View Post
I see that on 31 July 2012 a Radar Handbook was ebay'd by g4xwd with the following description:

Unfortunately the buyer's contact details are private; it might have provided a few more details on the other gear.
Jon,

I was the buyer of this EMER from Jim, G4XWD. So you can ask me anything more you want to - but I have had a fairly thorough read of the document and I don't see a lot more that's relevant here. I will have another look for you and see if any other diagrams bear any resemblance to the other bits you have.

Richard
Old 3rd Oct 2014, 11:40 pm   #46
jon7540
Retired Dormant Member

Richard

It did cross my mind that you might have been the purchaser! I appreciate that you've already had a good look through for anything else relevant - thank you. Interesting that the F.A. radar used 80v 2000c/s. In a Radar circuit description in "Radio Engineering" by R C Norris the Radar prf was derived from this supply supply frequency. Perhaps not a reason for using 2000c/s in a new design but, as mentioned in a previous post, it would be unavoidable if earlier designs were being reused.

I'm still planning to look at the SU Radar Archive Tomlin Collection - if I find anything interesting I'll post back.

Jon
Closed Thread