UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2012, 11:59 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Pye FenManII cabinet restoration.

This FenManII radio set needed the original lacquer to be stripped off before a start can be made on the cabinet restoration.
The front is in good condition and it has been left as it was.
The top and sides were finished in a very dark brown lacquer, the wood grain was almost invisible.
Now that the cabinet has been stripped and sanded down a very attractive wood is apparent, it's the same as the front. So it begs the question do I refinish the cabinet with a dark wood stain like the original, or just redo it with a clear French Polish? I'm for leaving the set as it is now.
There is some minor damage to the rear bottom corner of the cabinet.
DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FenManII.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	69436   Click image for larger version

Name:	FenManII2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	69437  
Old 6th Aug 2012, 12:39 am   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: Pye FenManII cabinet restoration.

I think the stain they used, on the sides, was virtually paint. I've never been able to replicate it, but they do look good when the sides are stained.

You may find my two restoration stories helpful.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=19625
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8197

David
Old 6th Aug 2012, 1:05 am   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye FenManII cabinet restoration.

Hi David,
I've just applied clear French polish to the top and sides and the set certainly looks good. However, the set is not mine and it's up to it's owner to decide how the set should look.
About the FenManII. I can remember these sets when they were new way back in the mid fifties. As good as and perhaps might even be better than the large AMFM radio sets imported from Germany and those sets were good.
FenManII had two push-pull EL84s.

DFWB.
Closed Thread