UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2010, 7:07 pm   #21
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with Eddystone 888A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
The "S" meter is a great looking accessory, I have one however not much use in its original form as the dial is calibrated at 3db per "S" point, as opposed to the normal 6db per point.
Mike
4dB per "S" point, no?

Al.
All the accessories are very collectible and command high prices these days - especially the bug key, (which was a flop in its day), the S Meter, and the die cast circular speakers. I sold all my Eddystone receivers (a couple of 940s, a 680X, an EA12 and EB35) and accessories such as a bug key, except a couple of circular die-cast speakers.

FWIW, 6dB per S-point ranges from -150dbW for S1, to -100dbW for S9.

However, most amateur radio receivers/transceivers using an AGC feedback voltage derived S-meter, have meters that are very non-linear, often as little as 3dB per S-point in the S2 - S9 region.

S meters look appealling, but I don't think they serve much practical purpose, certainly when amateurs give signal reports to each other, which are invariably flattering - 5 x 9 - maximum readabilty, maximum signal strength. Sometimes they gild the lilly - "10 dB over 9".

Huh - what next - "wall to wall and tree top tall"?

David,
G4EBT
Old 10th Feb 2010, 11:37 pm   #22
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Help with Eddystone 888A

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

All the accessories are very collectible and command high prices these days - especially the bug key, (which was a flop in its day), the S Meter, and the die cast circular speakers.

However, most amateur radio receivers/transceivers using an AGC feedback voltage derived S-meter, have meters that are very non-linear, often as little as 3dB per S-point in the S2 - S9 region.

David,
G4EBT
Accessories: you forgot to mention the pair of plinths that bolt on to the underside of the case to tilt the receiver into a more comfortable operating position (says he, glancing sideways at his Eddy. 888A, complete with said plinths and S-meter ).

These receivers of yesteryear used "S" meters in such a way that the deflection of the "S" meter needle followed the AGC - which followed the strength of the carrier of an A.M. or C.W. transmission. With the slow replacement of A.M. by SSB, they have largely become obsolete - except of course for C.W. transmissions.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 10th Feb 2010, 11:52 pm   #23
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Help with Eddystone 888A

Dave

I agree with your sentiments, I still like to use the "S" meter for quick checks on the receiver sensitivity often using the in built calibrator if it has one.

I never take any notice of S meter reports I am more concerned that they can read me without any problems.

In earlier days in my youth I remember messing arond with differing antennae being very disappointed with the "S" meter readings on received signals but extremely happy with the readability ( quiet no noise ).

You soon learn by experimenting.It is like everything understanding is the key to it all

Mike
Closed Thread