UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2019, 9:32 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Weird headphone socket

Hi,

I have been looking for a pair of vintage headphones, but i have a slight issue.

The headphone socket.

It’s not a typical headphone socket, its a 5 pin design (see attached)

I have no idea what to search to see if i can just find an adaptor to use with my current headphones

It is definitely a headphone socket as it has a cap, which has a headphones logo.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E11FA59E-6386-445F-A444-9C0F2D7D25C1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	178287  
Old 12th Feb 2019, 9:52 pm   #2

Default Re: Weird headphone socket

DIN domino, designed to be connected in two ways (L R swap) also used for BBC micro networking, unfortunately swapping it round didn't swap RX and TX, the only fault on the BBC micros PCB.

Old 12th Feb 2019, 9:53 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

Often called a "Domino" plug. Commonly used on continental equipment, such as Philips tape and cassette recorders as weel as dictating machines. Here's the one I use with my Philips N2501 cassette deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	domino.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	178288  
Old 12th Feb 2019, 10:11 pm   #4
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you, I've seen them before, but never knew what they were called.

It's on my TV, but I thought it's better on this section of the forum.

I'll have to hit the web now to look for some headphones (Or at least an adaptor)

Thanks!
Old 12th Feb 2019, 11:13 pm   #5
1100 man
Octode

Hi Aaron,
Searching Ebay for 'domino din to 3.5mm jack' pulls up just one result but that should allow you to connect a normal pair of headphones. Maybe someone with more experience of these connectors could confirm that?

Searching the Forum for 'domino din headphone' brings up quite a bit of information and it would seem this is a common type of socket on foreign equipment. Not something I've come across myself though.

The manual for your TV doesn't show it as a domino type, just a normal headphone jack.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Nick
Old 13th Feb 2019, 1:13 am   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

I searched Domino DIN and i was shown an adaptor from this to a 1/4” socket (which i need)

I’ll have a search and a read now.

I’ve never seen it before on domestic equipment, but all of my audio equipment is british made, so its the usual DINs im used to, with RCA cables.

I never thought of looking on the manual to see what it was called, but that wouldnt have been any help anyway.

Thanks for your help
Old 13th Feb 2019, 5:59 am   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Actually, the normal wiring of this connector does not swap L and R if you turn the plug round. Each channel goes to diagonally opposite pins so what you end up doing is inverting the phase of both channels (which is normally said to have no audible effect).

The plug has a slot in the outer metal part and on some machines plugging it in one way round operates a switch in the socket to turn off the loudspeakers, plugging it in the other way round does not (so you get headphones and speakers operational).

I've seen this connector called a '5 pin domino DIN', '5 pin DIN type C', '5 pin DIN 270 degree', '5 pin DIN 360 degree' and 'Quincuncial DIN'. That should give you some things to search for.

An exact converson to a stereo jack socket is impossible, as that has a common connection to the 2 channels (the 'sleeve' of the plug), the DIN plug does not. You'll get an adapter that will work one way round but which will short the 2 channels together the other way round I think.

And yes it was used for the BBC Micro serial port and IMHO mis-wired. It was also used for the serial port on the Tatung Einstein computer and on that machine turning the plug round does swap TxD with RxD (and RTS with CTS) as you'd want.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 12:54 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

Yes, that is how my home-made domino-to 1/4" stereo lead behaves. Insert one way and you get stereo, insert the other way and you get mono.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 12:53 am   #9
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you both for your replies!

I'll definitely buy one as i'd like to be able to use my TV with headphones if wanted.

Tony - I'll search them all now, I could possibly find a good deal or something else interesting for/about them.

Emeritus - I find the stereo/mono idea interesting, neither bothers me, stereo or mono is find by me.

Thanks for your help
Closed Thread