UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2008, 1:14 am   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default DAB radio conversions from analogue sets

Take a look at this !
Seems like a great idea to me

www.dabhandradio.com

Not sure if the owner is a forum member ?

Must complete my plans for that FM capable round EKCO.......

Andy
Old 31st Dec 2008, 1:45 am   #2
ianj
Heptode

Default Re: DAB radio conversions from analogue sets

mmmmmmmmm very interesting...............I have an fm converter with a stereo input jack, so could use that when the time comes, to pipe dab music through on MW........ianj
Old 31st Dec 2008, 1:54 am   #3
stuie319
Pentode

The only upside is he's local enough to me to purge his wheelie bin of scrap chassis

Seriously though, looks like he has available to him modular DAB assemblies which could be the basis of a convertor for folks that want stations only available via DAB?
I hope theres nothing rare in his 'to do pile'

Best Regards,
Stu
Old 31st Dec 2008, 8:58 am   #4
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Well, This is a "huge" modification. I wonder if the set retain one original component ?
I'll favour this modification : remove the ECH81 and plug this in, set the MW range and you get VHF ! (the page is alas only in German)
http://www.hse-radio.de/ and go to "UKW nachrusten Die neue idee "
Old 31st Dec 2008, 3:18 pm   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I use an AMT3000 for MW modulation and often sit of an evening listening to my old radios playing Pink Floyd and similar complete with whistles and hums which isn't quite as daft as it sounds. I feed Planet Rock which is a DAB station into the AMT.

During the 60's many people would indeed have had their first experience of such bands through the family elderly valve radio set. I know I did. Radio Luxembourg was really the only station that played such material at first so the whistles and fading were part and parcel of the experience (sorry Jimi) which I'd stay up all night to listen to. I say 'all night' but I think Luxembourg closed down at 3am.

As the setup is I can sometimes hear a continental faintly in the background of an evening adding to the nostalgia. It would be nice to have a 'phase and fading effect' that could be switched in and out to emulate the Luxembourg sound from that time.
Old 31st Dec 2008, 6:29 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

This sort of service may well suit lots of people who would otherwise scrap LW/MW sets thinking that they are redundant or want them "modernised" and it may [possibly] give converted vintage models a way of surviving into the future. It's relatively easy for forum members themselves, to come up with ideas to defeat the AM turn off, ranging from a Dab receiver connected to the vintage set speaker to re-broadcasing on MW, so looking at it from a "civillian" point of view is perhaps more difficult? Great workshop picture anyway!
I don't know this gentleman in Rochdale but perhaps he was involved with the Rev Dobbs and the QRP conventon? Apologies if I'm wrong on this?
Thanks for posting the info. Dave W
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 9:21 am   #7
tsgunnell
Retired Dormant Member

it looks like just the shell will be used .i see little point in that converting digital to mw would be more appropiate
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 5:39 pm   #8
dabhandradio
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: DAB radio conversions from analogue sets

Hi Everyone and thank you for all the comments about my DAB conversions etc.

I wondered why my website had been getting significant hits over the last few days and now I know! Thank you to the gentlemen who alerted me to the Forum.. Obviously I've joined!

Just to allay any fears or misconceptions.. I only convert sets that are common and in no way rare or mega expensive! I wouldn't contemplate converting a round Ekco to DAB!

Over the past years I've done the Radiophile/BVWS/had stalls at antique/flea markets etc etc etc and, although great fun, I could never have envisaged making a living out of it! I've always repaired more than I've ever sold.... One mans treasure is another's junk and I have several times rescued nice valved sets from the tip so this venture is still very much a one man band hobby rather than a commercial enterprise... And I'd prefer to keep it that way so I don't think I'll be putting my name down for the Dragon's Den just yet! So, until I retire its keep up with the day job looking after my posse of young offenders...

I respect those that might consider me a heretic but my experience is that people love to have their old wireless sets converted and usable...and with much improved sound... rather than merely throw them away especially when most customers think of their radios as pieces of furniture that enhances their living rooms/conservatory etc.. Better to have great sound and nostalgia rather than a plastic box in the corner? And I can guarantee reliability and safety too..

Most of the conversions result in little of the original being present inside the cabinet but I have gone as far as hiding modern components inside originals so that when you look inside the 'unknowledgeable' might think the valves are working!!!

So, any further comments will be welcome and I can take things on the chin too so tell it as it is!

My current projects include a bakelite Phillips and a DAC 90 which i will photograph and stick on the website as soon as I can...

Best wishes to all...

dave at dabhandradio....
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 6:07 pm   #9
screengrid
Retired Dormant Member

I've enjoyed viewing your site, Dave; many thanks.

Is there any chance of making the pics clickable onto a larger view please?
The ol' mince pies are not what they used to be!
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 8:26 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This website is for "vintage radio repair and restoration" - it's the website title! Ripping the guts out of vintage radios and replacing it with modern circuits is not that, so is off-topic for the website.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread