UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2019, 8:32 am   #1
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Default Kenwood TT880 Toaster

I have had this toaster for many years and it has given good service but recently it has started doing stupid things like putting both LEDs on for reheat and defrost. I can sometimes get it to behave properly but when its having a mood, there is little I can do.

Inside there is a PCB that has 2 DIL chips and 3 transistors a couple of electrolytics and a couple of green polyester caps, 3 push switches and 2 LEDs.

Has anyone had experience of fixing this toaster?

Alf
Old 9th Jun 2019, 8:57 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Kenwood TT880 Toaster

Hi Alf,
I know nothing about this toaster, being a non-electronic Dualit bloke, but there's plenty of information and a complete PCB for less than a tenner on here:

https://www.4kenwood.co.uk/toaster/t...del_ref=572806

Electrolytics are always suspect!
Old 9th Jun 2019, 9:06 am   #3
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the tip.

As you say electrolytics are always suspect especially when they have been in there for 20 years.
I had a similar experience years ago with a Grundig sky box that lost many channels. I found a company selling a kit of replacement electrolytics that were 105 degree rated and a bit higher voltage than the originals that in many cases had bulging ends!

I'll try replacing the electrolytics as a cheap solution as I've probably already got them in stock! Failing that a new PCB isnt too expensive.

Cheers,
Alf
Old 9th Jun 2019, 9:11 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

At that price, unless you've got a couple of electrolytics to try anyway first, it's a bit of a no-brainer!

Are the DIL chips anything identifiable? Any other "unusual" bits on there?

Edit: Crossed in post!
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread