UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2022, 7:50 pm   #1
paulsherwin

Default VHS recorder in Abingdon charity shop

There's currently a very late model VHS machine for sale in a charity shop in central Abingdon, Bath Street just off the High Street (near the chip shop and Wetherspoons.) I wasn't paying attention at the time and can't remember the brand or price, but it wasn't expensive. They seem to get a lot of electronics there, particularly DVD players, clock radios and docks for old iPhones. They had several old LCD tellies today which were £20-£30 with remotes. Prices are generally very low for electronics with most items under £10. Friendly staff. It's always worth a quick peep in there if you find yourself in Abingdon.

I bought a first generation Google Home Mini smart speaker for about a fiver from there a while ago.
Old 6th Mar 2022, 12:54 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: VHS recorder in Abingdon charity shop

I live very near Abingdon, and somehow that shop has escaped me. Clearly it is not going to escape any longer!

Thanks for the heads up Paul

Craig
Old 6th Mar 2022, 11:05 am   #3
paulsherwin

I can't remember the name of the charity - it's not one of the majors. The shop is easy to find though.

In addition to the electrical stuff, they also have cheap books and DVDs, and a huge range of crockery and glassware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2022-03-06-10-13-12.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	253076  
Old 6th Mar 2022, 12:07 pm   #4
OldTechFan96
Octode

I was under the impression that charity shops stopped taking electrical items? Maybe some did?
Old 6th Mar 2022, 12:29 pm   #5
paulsherwin

It's an individual decision. Some choose to decline all electrical items because they think the liability issues make it more trouble than it's worth. Others have a suitably qualified volunteer perform a PAT test before items go on sale.

There was a bit of a panic when the consequential liability rules were brought in decades ago. These were intended to protect the public from dodgy dealers selling dangerous old electric fires and cookers, but had the unintended consequence of frightening the life out of the charity shop sector. I'm not aware of a single case of a charity being prosecuted or sued under this legislation.
Old 6th Mar 2022, 2:45 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The big Cancer Research superstore here in Cardiff accept and sell electricals, and usually have a decent range of items (mostly modern though, I have never seen any VHS machines or other older items there). It is all PAT tested but not usually tested for proper operation etc.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread