UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2019, 8:31 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Marconi TF1065A Output Test Set

I acquired this a few months ago, along with a TF 1064 Sig gen.
"Renato" kindly sent me a pdf copy of the TF1065's Manual, but now that I've got round to looking inside - found that a lot of the circuitry is totally different. In particular, the 1065 requires a Mallory Cell which gives out + 5.4V & + 6.75V. This 1065A is just wired for a + 6.5V cell. Also the circuitry underneath the hinged chassis is very different. The +ve red battery lead goes straight to a large 6.5K 6W Green WW Resistor, is one example. See TF1065A Picture - top of R/H Tag Strip's components.
Any Marconi experts out there ?
A 1065A Circuit Diagram would be handy, if nothing else. I've connected it up to 6.5V from my bench DC PSU, and everything seems OK so far.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconi Test Eq..jpg
Views:	183
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	189462   Click image for larger version

Name:	TF1065A, Hinged Chassis.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	189463  
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 8:40 pm   #2
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Marconi TF1065A Output Test Set

David. I used to use one for dc I & A measurements, rf and af output. None of these required the battery to be fitted. I THINK it is only for deviation it is required?
We used to use the L.O bnc as a "sniffer" output. But IIRC there is a diode connected somewhere near, so beware harmonics.
I even had one that was modded for 100W rf, by shunting the meter. This was for short duration only! Overall, the rf power meter seemed good up to 470MHz IIRC?
The 1064B was a good sig gen.
Decades ago, both items were the mainstay of many a Pye telecom engineers test bench.
Rob
Old 4th Sep 2019, 3:02 pm   #3
David Simpson
Nonode

Right enough Rob, it works fine as a basic DC milliammeter/voltmeter & AF Wattmeter. For RF Power measurements I've already got a Marconi TF1020A/1. I've a VMARS chum who has a fancy modern Yaesu AM/FM mobile rig, so I'll ask him to fetch it over sometime & we'll check the %Mod. & Dev. readings.
It'll be easy enough to make up a substitute battery with 5 r/c AAA's. Dev only draws 800uA, otherwise just 20uA is drawn.

Regards, David
Old 6th Sep 2019, 7:56 pm   #4
Dickie
Octode

Hi David,
We have a TF1065A handbook in the archive. It will take a while to get it scanned.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 6th Sep 2019, 8:38 pm   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

That's great news Richard. Many thanks. Regards, David

Last edited by David Simpson; 6th Sep 2019 at 8:39 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 8th Sep 2019, 12:10 pm   #6
WME_bill
Octode

Marconi TF1065A and TF1064.
If there should be any problems with Dickie's amazing and very valuable resource, I find to my surprise that I have the manuals for both the original TF1065 and TF 1065A together with the associated signal generators TF1065A and TF1065B.
wme_bill
Old 10th Sep 2019, 6:19 pm   #7
Dickie
Octode

David,
My colleague has now scanned the manual so please PM your email address if you still want a copy.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 11th Sep 2019, 12:26 pm   #8
David Simpson
Nonode

Many thanks to Richard for an excellent download. Just the ticket.
Also many thanks to wme_bill for the alternative offer.

Regards, David
Closed Thread