UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2023, 4:59 pm   #1
Tony DF
Diode

Default AVO VCM163 socket adapters.

Probably a silly question. The Valve manual suggests using the SP14/S socket for the appropriate adapter. aka American 6 pin, American 7 pin, Mazda Octal and British 7 pin. All else seems to use the A08 "American Octal" socket.
I would like to build some adapters to test American 6, 7, 9 pin tubes. I can't seem to find any information on this style of socket. Obviously obsolete by now. I'd like to use a robust socket on the AVO 163 and not have to deal with loose tube socket pins in the future. What are you guys using ? Or have you simply swapped modern sockets on the machine for the rather obscure originals ? Information on this subject seems rather limited. Thank you in advance. Oh, and I'm not on your side of the pond.
Old 18th Jan 2023, 6:15 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO VCM163 socket adapters.

Probably because I happen to possess a few B9A plugs, I've made adapters out of those for various valves not accommodated on the 163. These would include the US type 6C6, 6D6 etc from my HRO.

I think that some others on the UK have "created" octal plugs by removing the bases off of defunct octal valves. I don't recall anyone making use of the SP14 socket.

B
Old 18th Jan 2023, 6:27 pm   #3
cathoderay57
Nonode

I did the same as Bazz. The flying lead connector panel on the top right is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard...... Jerry
Old 18th Jan 2023, 8:46 pm   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
I think that some others on the UK have "created" octal plugs by removing the bases off of defunct octal valves.

B
I bought a job lot of octal based relays to canibalise to make adaptors.

Peter
Old 18th Jan 2023, 8:59 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The adapter that I made that was never "quite right" was the one I made to test Acorn valves, but that doesn't need doing too often!

B