UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2018, 4:19 pm   #1
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Default Restoration of my Pye LV30

Hello everybody,
This is the story of a PYE LV30 tv set I put back to life, thank to the invaluable contribution of David Boynes who supply the 9" missing crt and the PZ30 and PL38 tubes and also Jerome Halphen who facilitate the shipment of the Aurora SCRF 405A converter.
When visiting our local radio club in Clermont Ferrand (center France), I found in the garbage the chassis of a LV30 without is CRT, but all the tubes on it. In fact, the fellows who put it there, started trying to have it explode but only the neck cracked. After investigations on the chassis and with the help of an RF generator, I concluded that it was an Alexandra Palace PYE model, tuned for the bands of 41 to 45 Mhz. Question is: What such a TV is doing in center France, where no possibilities where offered to receive broadcast program with those frequencies range and an typical English standard!
Anyway, David Boynes offered tome a Franck pattern generator for 405 lines and I could proceed with the restoration of the set, after I received the crt from him.
After replacing all the electrolytic capacitor and those of the time basis, including resistors. After repairing the big chain of power resistor and replacing the PZ30 and the PL38 tubes, changing the EHT valve EY51, the 405 lines pattern appear on the screen! At least, the video circuit and the crt where working fine. As soon as I received the Aurora converter I tested the RF chain, and I was surprised that it worked perfectly. The LV30 was saved and ready for a new life!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30 capacitors replacement.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	158014   Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30 capacitors changed on board.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	158015   Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30 réparation bleeder.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	158016   Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30 back.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	158017   Click image for larger version

Name:	mire 405 lignes sur LV30.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	158018  

Old 22nd Feb 2018, 4:42 pm   #2
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Restoration of my Pye LV30

Here more photos of my LV30 showing some steps of the restoration process, like repairing the main resistor bleeder, making a back cardboard, repairing the tv cabinet, modifying the shield to make a better cooling of the PZ30 and PL38 tubes..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LV30 coffret avant.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	158019   Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30 coffret après.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	158020   Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30 modif shield-1.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	158021   Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30 réparation bleeder.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	158022   Click image for larger version

Name:	LV30back.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	158023  

Old 22nd Feb 2018, 5:49 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Well done for saving it and taking on such a brave restoration.
I have restored the LV51, the 12" version (same chassis). They do give a good account of themselves, yours looks to have a very good picture indeed.

Mark
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 6:11 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

An excellent job.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 6:38 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Roger,
The LV30 is a truly excellent receiver. Your set must have an interesting history. I was expecting that the RF stages might have been retuned to the Paris 441 line transmitter, 42Mc/s sound and 46Mc/s vision but in fact it's an unaltered Alexandra Palace receiver.
Good news about the CRT, excellent brightness and focus.
I was never a great fan of the earlier Pye TV receivers such as the LV20 and B18 series and having acquired many years ago an LV30C, the set was put aside and it was only quite recently I decided to take a look at it. Well, it turns out the LV30 series are great little sets, my only criticism is the self oscillating line timebase which can be prone to frequency drift.
Congratulations on another superb restoration job.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 7:12 pm   #6
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you friends for your comments on my LV30 restoration. The picture is excellent on the Aurora pattern and on broadcast.
I would like to mention however, in complement to what Fernseh say about the line time base. The set takes a moment to have the line time base frequency stabilized. Let's say about 3 or 4 minutes. Once this delay passed, the image remain perfectly stable.
Up to now, I don't know what is the reason for this. I believe that is a question of raising adequate temperature for the PL38. What else? What could be the remedy?
R.D
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 11:40 am   #7
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Rogerdup wrote: "Up to now, I don't know what is the reason for this. I believe that is a question of raising adequate temperature for the PL38. What else? What could be the remedy?"

Hi Roger,
A later Pye TV set, the model V2 also employed a self oscillating line timebase. The exceptions being that a PL81 is used instead of a PL38 and the reclaim diode is a PY81 instead of one section of a PZ30. The oscillator transformer is similar to the one used in the LV30. In the LV30 the PL38 receives it's HT from a boosted supply of about 250 volts whereas in the V2 the PL81 is supplied direct from the 200 volt HT rail.

Later versions of the Bush TV22 employed a PL81 instead of the PL38.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 11:46 am   #8
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I was never a great fan of the earlier Pye TV receivers such as the LV20 and B18 series and having acquired many years ago an LV30C, the set was put aside and it was only quite recently I decided to take a look at it. Well, it turns out the LV30 series are great little sets, my only criticism is the self oscillating line timebase which can be prone to frequency drift.
I have to admit that these little 9" Pye sets are one of my favourites of their era.
I recently got a second example of a 1949 D18T that was retired in the late 50's, after gently powering it up on my variac, it was obvious that the main smoother was shot. Tacking in a replacement amazed me, the set came fully to life with a decent test card image after adjusting the line hold

Not bad for a set that had not been used for well over half a century!

Pye were certainly ahead of the competition after the war, the D18T was the first set to do away with mains derived EHT and bulky mains transformers.
Using flyback EHT and AC/DC circuit that was to become the norm for decades to come.

Mark
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 1:55 pm   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Circuit diagram of the self oscillating line timebase in the Pye VO9, the LTB in the V2 is similar.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PyeVO9LTB.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	158081  
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 4:59 pm   #10
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the comments my friends. I want to share with you these screen shots taken from my lv30 featuring a Shirley Temple movie by 1930 ! As you can see, despite my average performance cam, the images are excellents !
Sorry for the red light coming from my cam.. can't find how to eliminate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen shot1 lv30.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	158096   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen shot2 lv30.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	158097   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen shot3 lv30.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	158098  
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 5:09 pm   #11
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

When restoring the LV30 I found a 22k resistor in parallel with the L27 coil line amp. Anyway, the schematic show here a 2,2k. I remove the 22k and put the right value. I think perhaps the 22k has been put erroneously during the manufacturing of the set ?..
Old 24th Feb 2018, 8:48 am   #12
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Hello gentlemen,
I finally got a better picture of the 405 lines pattern after making some adjustment on my cam. This is the pattern issued from the Aurora SCRF405A.
The set is working so well and so the David's crt !
Have a good week every body. It's freezing here in France ! Brrr..
Roger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	405 lines pattern on lv30.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	158135  
Old 24th Feb 2018, 10:13 am   #13
peter_scott
Dekatron

Now that's a very decent test card image!

Peter
Old 24th Feb 2018, 10:27 am   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

That looks great!

Line drift from cold is a very common symptom with self oscillating line output stages.
Valve spread as the PL38 warms up and changes in the inductance of the line output transformer as the windings reach a stable temperature are the reasons for the line drift.

The line hold control being an inductor is also responsible. It was not unusual to allow a 15min warm up time. Receivers were just switched on 15 mins before the programme commenced and were then stable throughout the broadcast without having to fiddle with the controls.

The LV30 series were very reliable and introduced the first of the Mullard/Philips 'World Series' B9A valves. Regards, John.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 12:16 pm   #15
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Hi John,
That's very interesting for me to know this particularity of the LV30, given I have no experience with those sets before!
I have been mainly involved in building mechanical television machines for 30 and 60 lines during the past ten years. My website pages - la radiovision - are now hosted on the ETF site thanks to Steve Mc Voy, who review the English pages for me. One of my best has been the BAIRD Televisor replica. But sorry we are out of subject..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jlbaird2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	158152  
Old 24th Feb 2018, 4:49 pm   #16
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Roger,
Absolutely perfect, you've got the horizontal and vertical linearity spot-on. From 1951, the economy models V2 and VO9 apart, Pye abandoned the self-oscillating line timebase generator although a number of other UK firms including Philips continued to employ the technique, as late as 1955/56 in certain models. Even the large screen model 2155U employed a self oscillating line timebase.

DFWB.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 6:13 pm   #17
usradcoll1
Heptode

There was only two US firms that used the self-oscillating line timebase generator. One was Bendix and the other was Muntz, known to build the lowest price TV receiver. The Muntz 10" model didn't even use the recovery diode circuit. They did it with a large resistor and a few other components.
The only set I ran into, that had that circuit was a 12" model and I couldn't get the line frequency to lock in. The owner didn't want to spend any money on it, so I never got any experience on the circuit. That was over 50 years ago!
I restored a newer model Muntz and that one uses an RCA SyncroGuide circuit, that many other firms used.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 7:07 pm   #18
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
Now that's a very decent test card image!
I learn a lot and enjoyed your web site, Peter. Thank You
Roger
Old 24th Feb 2018, 7:58 pm   #19
peter_scott
Dekatron

Thank you Roger.

Peter
Old 26th Feb 2018, 8:55 am   #20
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

A last photo taken from my new restored LV30. Bette Davis in L'Emprise 1939. This set is now as good as new!
A nice week to you all!
Roger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	l'emprise 1939-1 (bette Davis).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	158245  
Closed Thread