UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2018, 3:21 pm   #41
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco T310 Restoration - complete novice

If you don't have any test equipment then you are making life very difficult for yourself...lots of frustration and randomly changing parts is not the best way forward. In answer to your last question...No, the output of the Aurora is only suitable for plugging in to the aerial socket. At the very least do you have a testmeter? If not I'd suggest you stop now and pay a visit to Maplin and buy a reasonable one, find out how to use it and then do some simple voltage checks. We can't help if we have no information ref voltages as the very least...
Old 18th Feb 2018, 6:00 pm   #42
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Please don't think we are being unhelpful Matt. We are all willing to help a novice but you must have some very basic tools with which to work with.

You can buy a simple digital meter from Ebay for less than £5 including postage. Rubbish you might think but I have a couple and they are accurate and ideal as a first meter. They will do all that is required to bring your Ekco into working order. Always make sure the chassis is NEUTRAL and check with a neon indicator screwdriver. Don't take things for granted.

A simple signal generator/tracer, the hand held type rich in harmonics is also a very handy tool. Again the outlay is low and once you get the knack of using it you will appreciate it's usefulness. No need for a big layout believe me.

Imagine trying to change a car wheel without a jack. OK it can be done but it makes for hard work.
If your nervous of getting a shock, wear a pair of surgical type disposable latex gloves. You can buy a box of 100 for just a few pounds.

This should be an easy one. The next move must be to measure the IF valve voltages and then to inject a signal at the required points. Good luck. John.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 9:34 am   #43
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Matt, you may feel that we are not helpful but we need some basic info to go on.
If you just carry on guessing and replacing odd parts this renovation will get away from you. We have seen it happen many times.
It will be a shame to not get this set up and running.
Don't be worried about asking some one to come to you and hold your hand. I'm sure that some member near you would mentor you.If you feel that you would like help on a one to one basis, put a thread in the services required section of the forum.
Please don't take our comments as criticism, they are well meant.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 11:57 am   #44
Autozavod
Triode

Good morning gents,

please don't worry, I fully understand you are doing your best to help me, and I appreciate that.

I do have a multimeter (several) and an oscilloscope, I don't have a signal generator (I should have made that clearer).

My plan is to do a bit more reading in what to look for using the service manual and will be back to ask for more guidance when I'm ready to start more testing.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 19th Feb 2018, 5:55 pm   #45
regentone001
Heptode

one thing to check is that the channel numbers of the coil"biscuits" in the tuner match those on the knob they could have been moved around and I also remember that a lot of tuners only came with the biscuits for the area the set was to be used in
Steve
Old 19th Feb 2018, 6:13 pm   #46
Freya
Octode

I was actually thinking only this morning that the metal legend part of the knob could be installed incorrectly 180 degrees out also. As a suggestion also, try using the Aurora on CH.2 instead.
Closed Thread