UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2018, 11:28 pm   #1
David Dunlop
Pentode

Default Multiple Terminal Wafer Switch Repair

Has anyone ever attempted this type of work?

I have a Main Set Receiver for a Wireless Set No. 52 Cdn, within which the Mode of Operation Switch has a broken Mid-Section Terminal Wafer. From what I have been able to determine, these types of switches were designed to be disassembled in order to replace any terminal wafer that gets damaged, rather than replacing the entire switch assembly.

Not a bad idea considering in this case I would be faced with only 6 terminals to solder/unsolder, compared to 23 to replace the entire switch.

The second challenge I see is finding the correct Mid-Section Terminal Wafer. The contact layouts vary significantly from wafer to wafer and switch to switch. I will likely have to pirate one from an otherwise perfectly good switch.

Sigh!

David
Old 4th Jan 2018, 1:25 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Multiple Terminal Wafer Switch Repair

I rebuilt a wafer with epoxy and bits chopped from copper pipe.
The set has been working well since.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 2:49 am   #3
FrankB
Heptode

if the switch was made with phenolic wafers, and it was just the wafer broken, I had 100% success with repairing them with epoxy, preferably non-conductive type.
The HeathKit TT1 tube tester I got had 2 broken switches in it and the epoxy repair has only held up for 40+ years now. And that tester is my "Daily Driver".
Sure saves a lot of work.
I also have a huge box of salvaged wafers, phenolic & ceramic I keep for making my own custom switches, and for ones damaged beyond repair.
Be aware that some replacement wafers have slightly different sized spacing between the switch positions, and the screws that hold them together and the actuating shaft can be different sizes.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 4:06 am   #4
David Dunlop
Pentode

Thanks, Gentlemen.

I will have to take a closer look at the damage to see if any bits of the wafer are missing, or if I am lucky enough to have a clean break that can be repositioned in place. My initial look suggested the break went right up to the central shaft assembly. Two wires still connected to the free floating bit of wafer and one free wire.

David
Old 4th Jan 2018, 12:05 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

The one I did had a bit missing.
It was like dentistry but the crown was made of copper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0726.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	154984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0733.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	154985   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0750.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	154986   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0752.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	154987  
Old 4th Jan 2018, 2:08 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi David, I have these used wafers and some new ones, if you can make use of any I will send you one. size is 39mm bolt hole centres and large ones 49mm. I can take more pictures if it will help.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swich wafers 001.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	154988  
Old 4th Jan 2018, 9:05 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi David, as you can see from John's pictures there are quite a few varieties of wafer available. That said, it is still possible to re-purpose old ones and parts are always worth keeping.
If it was a Plessey switch, they used to make a switch kit, so it was possible to build your own wafers.

Ed
Old 4th Jan 2018, 9:20 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
If it was a Plessey switch, they used to make a switch kit, so it was possible to build your own wafers.
Was that the same as the RS "Maka-Switch" kit? I remember using a lot of them to make up odd switch assemblies - as well as the phenolic wafers there was a series of mains-rated on/off switches that could be fitted to the end of the spindle that also carried multiway phenolic wafers.

If ceramic wafers for your switch would be acceptable, could be worth looking here:

http://www.electro-nc.com/crl.cfm

and http://www.electro-nc.com/cat_am.shtml

"Electroswitch" took over the 'Centralab' company who were the big provider of such switches to the continental USA/Canada for decades. You may find your failed switch is a Centralab in disguise!
Old 5th Jan 2018, 5:59 am   #9
David Dunlop
Pentode

Thanks for the offer, John. I will take some measurements this weekend and post a photo of what this wee beastie looks like.

David
Old 5th Jan 2018, 9:15 pm   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, no the Plessey kit had wafers, contacts, centre rings and even a jig so you could make up shorting type wafers for use in coil packs.
They do occasionally appear on ebay.

Ed
Old 10th Jan 2018, 1:22 am   #11
David Dunlop
Pentode

Hello John. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I stumbled across a complete switch assembly on the weekend and will be able to swap out the middle wafer assy in the receiver.

Thought of a full switch replacement, then I took a close look at the set and decided the wafer swap was more sensible.

Best regards,

David
Closed Thread