UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2009, 7:45 pm   #1
AndiiT
Octode

Default SA9083 Linesmans Test Meter

Hi,
Occasionally threads appear with questions about how to operate the SA9083 linesmans test meter. I have attached a document which shows how to use this piece of equipment, should you ever have the need or inclination to do so.

A couple of things to observe regarding use of the meter are the following -

IT SHOULD NOT BE SWITCHED TO ANY OF THE "BLUE" RANGES WHILST THERE IS A VOLTAGE PRESENT ON THE LINE and MOST "GOOD" RESULTS WILL CAUSE NO DEFLECTION OF THE POINTER UNLIKE THE METERS THAT MOST OF US ARE USED TO USING.

Mods could this thread be made "sticky" if you feel that is useful enough to warrant it.

Regards
Andrew
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 9083 TESTING.pdf (529.4 KB, 2202 views)
Old 19th Feb 2009, 1:51 am   #2
brunel
Heptode

Default Re: SA9083 Linesmans Test Meter

Thanks for this, I have one of the old style 9083's ever so useful for quick checks on everything electrical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bt tester.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	23245  
Old 19th Feb 2009, 8:36 am   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunel View Post
Thanks for this, I have one of the old style 9083's ever so useful for quick checks on everything electrical.
Manufactured by 'AVO'? - Looks remarkably similar to the AVO 1000 / 1001 series instruments!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th Feb 2009, 5:43 pm   #4
Oldtestgear
Hexode

Actually made by Thorn EMI. Think AVO was part of the empire in the 1980s or am I mistaken,
I wrote up a calibration procedure for one of the variants produced over the years. If anyone wants a copy, just let me know.
Old 19th Feb 2009, 7:09 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I forgot to add that there are a number of cosmetic/physical variants of the SA9083, admittedly I have only seen he Robin variant in real life as it were. All have the same selector functions and are used in the same way.

I have hidden in my loft a Bakelite SA9083 which has the same functions (as it should have) as the later Yellow cased models.

Andrew
Closed Thread