UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2017, 4:11 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Grundig mic identity.

Hi,
I have a Grundig microphone that came with the Uher 4000L tape recorder which was the subject of a recent thread.
I'm curious as to what type it is, as it looks like it may be a studio type. It has a large-ish threaded hole in the base for fitting to a mic stand, a fairly long lead with a three pin DIN plug. This latter has a yellow identifying marker, as does the mic itself.
The mic is 'double sided' which makes me think it might have a figure-of-eight pick up pattern and possibly designed to be surrounded by actors, singers, etc.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig mic 1..jpg
Views:	124
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	151570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig mic 2..jpg
Views:	112
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	151571  
Old 29th Oct 2017, 4:28 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig mic identity.

Looks similar to half of one of these?:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundi..._gdsm_202.html

Lawrence.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 11:16 am   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Grundig mic identity.

Hi Lawrence, and thanks for the info.
So, it's half of a stereo pair, hence the colour identifier.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 2:27 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

If it's half a stereo pair, it's probably a cardioid pickup pattern type.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Nov 2017, 2:40 pm   #5
camtechman
Nonode

Tractorfan

It's a GDM 101 and can be viewed on the Grundig tribute site, the link below is for microphones only http://www.taperecorders.nl/micro.htm

Here's the lnk to the whole site and it's quite interesting
http://www.taperecorders.nl/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GDM 101.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	151655  
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 2:52 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Beautiful! There is even a little impedance-matching transformer right inside the DIN plug!

Many manufacturers supplied crystal mics with their valve-based reel-to-reel recorders (good because they are high-output, high-impedance devices inherently suited to a valve input stage; bad because their performance is naturally limited) but Grundig always preferred to supply better-quality microphones; dynamic or even condenser types (the latter requiring a HT supply via a specially-wired DIN connector, a possible trap for the unwary). Exactly how much real benefit this conferred given the limitations of half-track recording at 9.5cm./sec. probably is debatable, since good quality crystal microphones certainly existed, but it was certainly perceived as worthwhile. The microphone supplied with the TK14 was a very nice dynamic one with a step-up transformer to suit a high-impedance input on pin 1, with a direct connection for a low-impedance input on pin 3. This suits the Uher 4000 series, and the Grundig mic gave an excellent account of itself with the more capable recorder.