UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2017, 9:26 pm   #1
Ben9801
Triode

Default Looking for help identifying this Pye set please. (Identified as a Pye G18K).

Hello I am struggling to identify this Pye set, it has no model number anywhere! It has a Garrard RC65 turntable. Does anyone know the model number so I can find out more about it please? I am guessing it's 1948 or 1949? Thanks, Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	152313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	152314  
Old 15th Nov 2017, 11:54 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Looking for help identifying this Pye set please

Hi Ben, welcome to the forum. There is usually a blue metal label on the back of the radio chassis. You may have to take the back off to see it.

John.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 12:41 am   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

Hello Ben - East Bristol Auctions? I was very tempted by this one....but I resisted on the grounds of space. Nice cosmetic order and well worth restoring but I am afraid I don't know the model. I'll bet Edward does! Good luck with it.

Roger
Old 16th Nov 2017, 1:21 am   #4
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
The tuning dial and knobs seem to be very similar to the Pye 18A table radio and the radiogram version of this is the Pye G18K. (There are also similar export models 38A and G38K).
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pye_18a18.html
Yours, Richard
Old 16th Nov 2017, 9:37 am   #5
ms660
Dekatron

The radio and the deck look like late 1940's, but somehow the cabinet looks later.

Lawrence.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 11:30 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well good old C O Stanley was very brave in signing this one off as it was one of the very first "Contemporary" designed post war Radiograms - and is as early as 1947. I was most surprised that the formidable Mrs Stanley also sanctioned it. But I don't think this had the commonly used Pye "Short " superhet of the period as it would have needed more AF stage gain for the autochanger cartridge. I regret I can't remember the chassis type. Not many of these were made but it does reveal an open-minded side to CO that many would not ususally have given him credit for.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 12:37 pm   #7
Vintage Engr
Heptode

That's in really nice condition Ben.
Another for your great collection!

Welcome to the forum,

David.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 6:10 pm   #8
Ben9801
Triode

Thanks everyone for your help and advice - there is indeed a model number on the chassis on a blue plaque on the chassis - it is a G18k. It was filthy and will be getting a thorough going over in due course. I have a few Pye machines now, and was pleased to find this one!

And hello David! Hope the TV is keeping you busy on these cold dark nights!!
Old 16th Nov 2017, 8:24 pm   #9
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Looking for help identifying this Pye set please. (Identified as a Pye G18K).

Hi Ben, Pleased to have helped. The service info is available top right of this page £1.99.

John.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 10:55 pm   #10
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Looking for help identifying this Pye set please. (Identified as a Pye G18K).

Unless I'm much mistaken, that's a rather good Garrard RC65 autochanger, able to play a mixed pile of 10 inch and 12 inch 78s thanks to its novel size sensor.

The pickup head looks like it's one of the rare Garrard 'high fidelity' magnetic heads, introduced just before the LP era. Worth preserving in my view. Is it missing its front plate?. I have one where the front plate is branded RGD. Maybe yours was branded Pye?. It may have a 'permanent' sapphire stylus. Not easy to find nowadays.

Martin
Old 17th Nov 2017, 11:35 am   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I overlooked that in this Short superhet, the EF39 was switched to act as an AF on Gram. Clearly the, then new, Garrard "lightweight" magnetic head loaded it well. The original pastel coloured design sketches I saw for this were from 1947, but clearly it took a bit later to get this in to (limited) production 1948. A lovely radiogram, this will sound great.
Old 17th Nov 2017, 12:12 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...rch=%22g18k%22

Lawrence.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 4:55 pm   #13
Ben9801
Triode

Thanks everyone - Martin, yes I am missing an end plate, assume they are completely unavailable so was going to replace the deck completely with another RC65 in better condition. And yes, I can't wait to hear it. I love PYE and HMV stuff and getting a bit of a collection
Closed Thread