UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2010, 8:54 pm   #1
cendoubleu
Tetrode

Default what resistor rating is preferable?

Hello folks. I'm in a mind to get in a stock of components so that if a particular project I see takes my fancy I can get stuck in fairly quickly. I already have an excellent stock of capacitors at valve-voltage ratings but not so resistors, most being of 1/4 rating for SS projects. What would be the recommendation for a resistor stock? Would it be 1/2w or 1w? And do modern resistors have the correct voltage rating even at the higher wattage values?
Thanks in anticipation, Charlie
Old 17th May 2010, 9:15 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: what resistor rating is preferable?

I would recommend 3 Watt Metal Oxide types :-

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=2143042
Old 21st Jun 2010, 2:12 pm   #3
dave cox
Nonode

These look good to me, and they maybe a little cheaper than RS :

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...66471#techspec

I've found their re-stocking isn't as good as RS though, I've waited months for some 12pF NPO ceramic caps ...

dave
Old 21st Jun 2010, 3:11 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Rather a pity that their 3 Watt metal oxide range only goes up to 56k

A bit low for many of our requirements.

As with most firms, there's a P&P charge for small orders.

In Rapid's case, £4.95 on orders below £30. Hence, even if you only want £25 in goods, you might as well order another fiver's worth and get free P&P. (It makes little sense to order say £10 worth of items, as the P&P would amount to a 50% uplift).

No criticism of Rapid or any other firm which adopts this policy - they have a living to make and it costs as much to process a small order as a large one, with little or no profit in it for them.

As to a range of resistors to stock, I've often considered this, but the range used on different receivers seem to be so infinitely variable, that it's not quite as simple as stocking say 0.1 and 0.01 uF caps to replace waxies.

The 3 Watt metal oxide resistors look the part in older sets, being similar in physical size to the old 0.5 Watt and 1 Watt carbon types, whereas modern 0.5 and 1 Watt ones are so small that they look out of place.

I've tended to build up my stock over time by ordering 5 or ten of whatever values I need for a particular set, figuring that in time, other sets will need at least a few of those values.

I tend only to replace resistors which are more than 20% out of spec, as 20% was often the original tolerance anyway when the radios came off the line.

I guess that if someone did a bit of research, a range of commonly occurring resistors might arise, but I've never bothered looking further into that.

David.

Last edited by Station X; 21st Jun 2010 at 4:35 pm. Reason: Full quote of previous post removed.
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 7:06 pm   #5
matthewhouse
Octode

Just radios in Canada sell large kits of valve equipment suitable resistors in 1,2 and 3W. Shipping is very fast and I would recommend them to anyone. They sell on eBay here.
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 7:35 pm   #6
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I can only second the recommendation of JustRadios - I bought one of their capacitor kits and was very pleased.

Andy
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 10:47 pm   #7
brianc
Rest in Peace

I bought a couple of their resistor packs - 1W and 2W. The 2Ws are better as they are that bit larger but the 1Ws don't look too out of place among '40s and '50s 1/4W components. They are excellent value for money and as Mathewhouse says, shipping is very fast.
Closed Thread