UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2023, 11:39 am   #1
Adam Fidler
Diode

Default Pentara/Herald help

Hi guys. I wonder if anyone can help me with my Pentara system. Officially, it's a Pentara Plus but I use original Herald phones on it. I have just wired it up in a new office; historically, I only used 2-wire extensions, with the operator console being the only 4-wired phone. I have successfully wired up two 4-wire phones, which allow me to use Herald system phones with the LEDS/lights that flash etc. I have wired up a 4-wire extension to Extensions 125 and 125. (Extension 123 is the operator terminal main phone, but only accessible by dialling '0'). I presume the system, which I inherited was set up in the factory as a PBX. Having wired up my 4-wire extensions everything works (ie the phones work perfectly) however, when you lift the receiver on a 4-wire extension there is a permanent 'beep beep beep' over the top of the dialling tone. The dialling tone is fine. If you access an exchange line, then all works, but again the 'beep beep beep' is in the background. The same thing when you receive or take a call. Does anyone know what this warning tone/beeping is? Incidentally, there is no beeping on the dial tone of the operator terminal - only the 4-wires I have recently installed. Hoping some can help. Aside from the 'beeping' in the background, the system is bliss! The beeping also remains when you take or make a call to those extensions. I have re-wired all phones and checked connections, but cannot get rid of the permanent 'beep beep beep' when you lift the handset of 4 wire. (2 wire terminals are all fine.)
Old 29th Jun 2023, 3:23 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Pentara/Herald help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fidler View Post
I have wired up a 4-wire extension to Extensions 125 and 125. (Extension 123 is the operator terminal main phone, but only accessible by dialling '0').
Am I right in thinking you meant "extensions 123 and 125"? As you say, the first extension is nominally 123 but is the "operator", accessed via "0".

Quote:
I presume the system, which I inherited was set up in the factory as a PBX.
You could either retain the setup as previously programmed or you can reprogram[me] it to a default setup if you prefer. If you wish to go down this route, I can give you the instructions for doing so, but if you're happy to stay with the current setup, that's fine.

Quote:
Having wired up my 4-wire extensions everything works (ie the phones work perfectly) however, when you lift the receiver on a 4-wire extension there is a permanent 'beep beep beep' over the top of the dialling tone. The dialling tone is fine. If you access an exchange line, then all works, but again the 'beep beep beep' is in the background. The same thing when you receive or take a call. Does anyone know what this warning tone/beeping is? Incidentally, there is no beeping on the dial tone of the operator terminal - only the 4-wires I have recently installed. Hoping some can help. Aside from the 'beeping' in the background, the system is bliss! The beeping also remains when you take or make a call to those extensions. I have re-wired all phones and checked connections, but cannot get rid of the permanent 'beep beep beep' when you lift the handset of 4 wire. (2 wire terminals are all fine.)
What sort of socket are you using for your four-wire extensions? What you need is a slave-type one (i.e. without the capacitor and other components that are in a master socket) otherwise you will be feeding the control information from the data pair into the speech circuit, which will be audible as beeping sounds.

When connecting a standard 'phone to a four-wire extension, the second (data) pair is unused, with just the speech pair connected to the socket. In this case a master socket enables connection of a 'phone that is not using an internal ringing capacitor.

As a matter of interest, what Auxiliary Slide-in Units (ASUs) do you have installed in your system (identified by the colours of the handles)?
Old 29th Jun 2023, 5:55 pm   #3
Adam Fidler
Diode

Hi Dave. Thanks for this. In answer the points you raise. (1) I did mean exts 124 and 125 are my new 4-wire terminals. 123 is the operator console (that is working fine). (2) Would prefer to keep the system set up as is for now rather than re-programme the whole thing. (3) Re the sockets for my 4-wire; I didn't think of this. I am actually using two BT sockets (and wiring) from an old BT Renown installation kit that was unused. I can check the sockets, and didn't realise this could be an issue. (4) I understand using a 2-wire phone on a 4-wire extension the second data pair not used with speech pair only being connected. All 2 wire phone are all fine (no issues) - I only have issues (beeping) with the new 4-wire terminals I have installed just recently. (5) Re ASUs - you mean the coloured slide ins in the CCU? I have definitely checked them all and have cards for 4-wire extensions and 2-wire extensions; so that isn't the issue, as far as I can see. I have a variety and have checked the colours to identify them - most are actually 4 wire terminal cards.
Old 30th Jun 2023, 11:03 am   #4
Adam Fidler
Diode

By way of update... the beeping has stopped. The sockets I was using for my 4-wire extensions did, indeed, have a resistor in them. I have changed them to 'slave' sockets and all is well. Thank you, Dave! That's what you get when you use other BT kit (I was using BT Renown sockets which do have the capacitor in them. I'm now just deciding which brand new Herald phones (I have many of them, unused) to plug in!
Old 31st Aug 2023, 12:08 pm   #5
BigClick
Hexode

I worked on Pentara in the 80s. I remember the handsets used to suffer with excessive side tone.

Updating the Main Board was like a dark art
Old 31st Aug 2023, 2:30 pm   #6
AndrewH
Diode

I worked on many Herald's / Pentara's in the 80's too. Changing the PSU and nervously waiting in case it went bang was a common thing.
Closed Thread