UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2019, 10:01 pm   #1
Vakito227
Hexode

Default Self Resetting Circuit Breaker with 100 Ohm resistor

Hi all, the Rockola jukebox I'm restoring has a free play button that simulates a 10p coin being dropped into the machine. Someone's modified my machine decades ago to have a 2A fuse in the place of a self-resetting circuit breaker. The coin switches activate a corresponding solenoid to make the credit ratchet go a certain number of clicks. The power to these coin switches passes through the breaker first. I'm wanting to know the purpose of this breaker and whether I should stick with the fuse in its place or attempt to find a replacement?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4311.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	189866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4312.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	189867  
Old 10th Sep 2019, 4:40 am   #2
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Self Resetting Circuit Breaker with 100Ohm resistor

First, either one is there to protect the solenoid (and the rest of the machine) in case the solenoid develops a short or jams or there is some other electronic fault that keeps it activated.

The difference between the two:

If a fuse blows, you have to physically get inside the machine and change it.

If the self resetting fuse trips, it will, as the name suggests, reset itself after a period of time. No climbing inside to change it.

As to which one to use - either, they both perform the same function.
Old 10th Sep 2019, 6:55 am   #3
Vakito227
Hexode

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply, what's the purpose of the 100Ohm resistor? It's not usually in circuit

Thanks
Peter
Old 10th Sep 2019, 10:22 am   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I'm not 100% sure, but I think either there may have been a different option to enable free play on some jukeboxes or it was for an additional bit of kit like a flashing 'Free Play' sign.

It's been many many years since I had anything to do with jukeboxes, so it's really stretching the memory bank (for others in Oz reading this, think Leisure and Allied Industries).
Closed Thread