UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2020, 3:05 pm   #1
ORAWA01
Hexode

Default Servisol substitutes ideas?

Hi All

Just wondering if there are any options for Servisol switch cleaner.
My friend suggested using Carb cleaner canisters for Petrol Lawn Mower Engine, because it cleans any blocked engines very well and fast.
But I am not sure if it will damage plastics or other electronic parts.

Or failing that, what else could do for switch cleaning liquid? Or should I just keep ordering Servisols?

Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 3:20 pm   #2
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Servisol substitues ideas

Isn't carb cleaner just a load of hydrocarbons, designed to thin down fuel deposits? As Servisol 10 appears to be an 'isoparaffic hydrocarbon solvent blend' they could well do the same thing! Will carb cleaner evaporate as well, and provide the same lubrifying properties? I suppose you could try it on something you don't mind about too much - do an experiment to compare. Or spray two areas of a metal sheet with each and see what deposits remain when they've dried. Perhaps carb cleaner will have more of an oily residue.
Old 4th May 2020, 4:17 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Servisol is easily available and proven. Plenty of similarly proven alternatives also available, why risk damage using any old solvent lying around?
Old 4th May 2020, 5:38 pm   #4
ORAWA01
Hexode

Just was wondering what the opinions on it would be like. There were times that my servisol ran out, and was desperately needing it. When ordered from online sellers, it took a few days to arrive.

I was looking for something which will do the job in the shed and everywhere. I knew WD40 is not good for the job, and was wondering what about the Carb Cleaner.

Carb cleaner would be definitely oily and also the strong petroleum smell will linger for long time. But then Servisol also seem smell of petroleum after applying to the switches.
Old 4th May 2020, 5:52 pm   #5
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I used WD40 for years and never had a problem. I only bought Servisol for the first time about ten years ago and find that for all that it does a better job of cleaning the contacts don't stay clean as long as they do if done with WD40.
Old 4th May 2020, 6:00 pm   #6
paulsherwin

WD40 is basically white spirit / turps substitute, and you can certainly use that if you're desperate. Even paraffin/kerosene will work. The problem with all these solvents is that they're a bit messy, particularly if overused.
Old 4th May 2020, 10:11 pm   #7
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I always used Servisol, mostly without problems but in the past found it can affect some plastics. I used to find it affected some Thorn sets especially the plastic front control panel moulding where there had previously been over zealous use to clean the slider controls. Maybe they've changed the formulation and it is safe on plastics these days.
I've got away with WD40 but not the best thing to use. It's not good on slider pot controls, although it will clean the contacts well enough, it can make the control rough to use with added friction. WD40 is very useful though and do use it for various cleaning jobs in the workshop.

I had a VCR in for service that the customer kindly treated the deck to a good dose of WD40 and proudly admitted it! That was a very time consuming repair!
Something I was told in earlier years in a TV workshop was to never use any form of spray cleaner on mains switches no doubt because of a fire hazard.

Regards,
Symon
Old 4th May 2020, 11:55 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

This is the latest of the many threads we have had on contact cleaners.
See post 45 for a bit of alchemy: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162817
Old 5th May 2020, 2:00 am   #9
retailer
Heptode

I've been doing some rotary switch contact cleaning this last few weeks, I have CRC CO contact cleaner and also WD40 contact cleaner, they are probably good at cleaning general oily grime but had no effect on the slightly blackened oxidised contacts, I did ask a question regarding the effectiveness of Deoxit in one of my posts a few weeks ago, I wasn't keen on forking out $50 only to find it was no better than the CRC I already had.

I did some internet searching and from what I could make out silver jewelry cleaners had the same chemical composition as Deoxit so I also tried some Connoisseurs Silver Dip, a silver jewelry cleaner, gave it a test first on an old rotary switch in my parts bin, applied with the point of a bamboo skewer the type used to make satays, dip the pointy end in, transfer a minute amount to the rotary portion of the switch, rub it around, rotate the switch to transfer some solution to the fixed contact, wait 20-30 seconds, give it a good blast with WD40 contact cleaner, and then compressed air to clear away the silver dip solution. I did not take pictures but I could see where the silver dip had been applied, all of the dark silver oxide had gone - a definite difference.

From what I could determine the chemicals are dilute sulfuric acid and a dilute organic acid I forget the name but it has a distinctive odour, which allegedly is not good for your health.
Old 5th May 2020, 9:44 am   #10
jonnybear
Octode

If you want to destroy hard plastic use WD40 it may take a couple of years but it will, first the support legs will snap off, then the rest will crumble and disintegrate. I have seen many valuable plastic radios go down this route.
WD40 is excellent for what it was designed for, water dispersant, though people seem to use it for anything. Stick to proven switch cleaners Electrolube Servisol and the like, I prefer where possible to clean switches with fibreglass pen and lube with a light smear of Electrolube.
John
Old 5th May 2020, 12:19 pm   #11
ORAWA01
Hexode

WD40 definitely affected badly on the plastic parts in my experience. I once applied WD40 on the rusty metal tube with plastic caps on it. WD40 got into the plastic caps, and made them loose, and they all fell off. I couldn't tighten the metal tube again because the plastic caps were the handle to tighten, but they all have perished.

I am not sure if Carb cleaners will also destroy plastic. If they do, then it is not safe to use in the radios where the switches and post are partly plastic. And also if it gets onto plastic films of capacitors or resistors, they will be destroyed too.

But then, is Servisol 10 fully safe?
Old 5th May 2020, 2:57 pm   #12
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

If Halfords is the only place open to you at the moment ..then 'Brake' cleaner is a good substitute.

due to what it is sold for ..it will not affect plastics/rubbers or virtually anything else in its path and also it leaves no residue.
Quite pleasant to use as it reminds you of your granny's drawers
(use to be used for moth balls).
Old 5th May 2020, 3:42 pm   #13
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

So that would probably be naphthalene, then. But oddly enough, naphthalene is a solid, so I imagine it is "solvent naphtha", which is a petroleum product and is also known as "lighter-fluid". It is a reasonable cleaner and is used to clean guitar parts, presumably because it will clean off finger-grease and associated crud.

Colin.
Old 6th May 2020, 8:55 am   #14
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Yes just looked and its principal ingredient is naphtha so obviously suitable for cleaning off the rust and liquid contaminations around a car's hydraulic brake system. Also buying from a motor store (although not Halfords of course) is often subject to special offers and discounts that you would never get with an electronic supplier.
Old 6th May 2020, 9:57 am   #15
ORAWA01
Hexode

Default Re: Servisol substitutes ideas?

Brake cleaner also seem dangerous stuff for electrical use due to its highest toxicity and possible damage it can cause to plastic parts.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=108407
Old 6th May 2020, 11:24 am   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

Personally, I would never substitute Servisol switch cleaner with a 'household' product. Yes, it is expensive but its well proven, it's formulated to a very specific job and very few mishaps using it. Bite the bullet I say. All Servisol products are available online on the auction site with fairly quick delivery.
Old 6th May 2020, 11:48 am   #17
ORAWA01
Hexode

Yeah, sounds like the best answer. I might also try using ISO rubbing alcohol mixed with water as well. It could be applied with cotton buds on certain areas of the radios for rubbing out the dust and dirt with good results and without possible harmful damage like from other products mentioned. Wouldn't be effective for rusts though.
Old 6th May 2020, 12:01 pm   #18
stevehertz
Dekatron

I use old tooth brushes for cleaning in small concealed areas having first applied Servisol foam cleanser. The latter is good for just about any surface cleaning and rarely - I won't say ever - causes problems with lifting graphics etc. I don't have shares in Servisol by the way, they just make some great cleaning and maintenance products!
Old 6th May 2020, 2:15 pm   #19
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORAWA01 View Post
Brake cleaner also seem dangerous stuff for electrical use due to its highest toxicity and possible damage it can cause to plastic parts.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=108407
Well, we are all grown adults in respecting chemicals and the like.

.. and frankly, that quote you have is nonsense as the evaporation rate is far too quick to hang around causing fumes from touching other materials.

Could they really sell stuff as 'brake' cleaner that rotted plastic... knowing that some brake parts have now replaced traditional rubber with plastic-like substitutes?

But ok whatever! I'll stop digging my hole,my original post has been well and truly pummeled into the ground and the rain is pouring onto my parade .
Old 6th May 2020, 7:32 pm   #20
ORAWA01
Hexode

Having said that, I tried WD40 to cheap vintage Transistor radio with crackling noise on the volume pot, and it cured it. Now no pops and bangs when switching it on, and rotating the volume control = it got noiseless and quiet as new.

So, maybe WD40 can do the job provided it is not too excess amount which will spill over to other areas than the problematic part, and where plastic parts are connected by friction such as into tubes or bars.

WD40 does work - thanks for your idea.