UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2020, 5:19 am   #1
ricard
Octode

Default Storing your collection

We've just moved house so my collection of tape recorders is currently packed away in banana boxes, padded with linen and clothes, lining the walls of our bedroom. Unpacking will take time, and I'm wondering how other people here store their collections, all from how to practically access them, to avoiding dust or other damage.
Old 21st May 2020, 7:20 am   #2
FIXITNOW
Octode

Default Re: Storing your collection

Mine are all on open shelves so not free from dust I use a mixture of Ikea Nikilas and Journalist shelving systems .some what old now but often pop up on eBay here in the UK at a good price so still able to find as I add more. they also did glass fronted display cabinets as I have a few and drawers etc
Old 21st May 2020, 7:26 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I have no system, they haphazardly move around from room to room, in and out of cupboards, in & out of the garage, in & out of the attic, sometimes loose, sometimes boxed, I really need to do something a lot better, really need a much bigger house or a warehouse would be more appropriate
Old 24th May 2020, 7:26 am   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

The biggest headache for me is not so much storing them (I have over 50 Brenells and a capacious freehold workshop!) but in finding the time, energy, interest (and money!) in using them in rotation to keep them working in fine fettle. As the old adage goes: "Use 'em or lose 'em!". Keeping them well aired but dry, dust and woodworm free is most important.
Old 25th May 2020, 6:09 am   #5
ricard
Octode

Yeah, I can relate the work needed to maintain the machines, I once had the ambition to have one of each of Tandberg's model (not too unreasonable as there have been 35 or 40 or so, depending on how you count all variants), but I realized that maintaining all the 'lesser' ones would take too much energy from the 'premium' ones which were the ones I really liked anyway.
Old 25th May 2020, 12:54 pm   #6
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
I have no system, they haphazardly move around from room to room, in and out of cupboards, in & out of the garage, in & out of the attic, sometimes loose, sometimes boxed, I really need to do something a lot better, really need a much bigger house or a warehouse would be more appropriate
Ah! 'So many treasures, so little space'
(With apologies to little Mae herself)
TT
Old 25th May 2020, 2:00 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

I use Chrome shelving, fully adjustable, attractive, moveable and very strong. You can get it in all dimensions from shelving suppliers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010278.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	206751   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1088.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	206752