UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2020, 11:35 am   #1
Paulus.d
Hexode

Default Tandberg PCB's

Been working on the remains of my beloved Tandberg during the lockdown.
Got it mechanically sorted and started rewiring with helpofthe serice manual, but found the Pcb's have 'rotted' away.....any attempt to resolder any joints leads to the tracks peeling off the board!
The caps are loose because the solder pads have just come away from the board....
Has anyone else noticed this with PCB's?
Regards Paul
Old 21st May 2020, 1:49 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg PCB's

In my own personal R2R experience this is very unusual, I have never done any work on my three Tandberg's boards, I must give them a visual inspection.

It is not that uncommon though for the occasional artwork/pad lifting/breaking away during soldering repairs.

David
Old 21st May 2020, 10:06 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

The traces are not very robust, it is true. The trick is to use a hot iron for just as long as possible to make the joint, and no more.
Old 22nd May 2020, 3:29 pm   #4
Paulus.d
Hexode

Spent most of yesterday going over the joints, securing all the caps that had broken from the tracks.... both PCB's are not working....the Amp is terribly distorted and the rec-playback one doesn't light the rec indicator bulb ..
Noticed loads more areas of track breaking away....
Gonna try to get a couple of other PCB's as I think these ones have possibly become too damaged now....
Regards Paul
PS.. my mum said if dad was still around he'd have made a new pcb....
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 11:07 pm   #5
Richardgr
Heptode

A few months ago I re-capped my Tandberg 74, and I did have to be very careful not to lift tracks when I was prising off the old elcaps, with there 4 points of contact (3 pins from negative).

Maybe they had previously been replaced, and the board got a bit damaged during that replacement?

There were a shed-load of electrolytics in the end!
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 11:23 am   #6
Paulus.d
Hexode

That Tandberg machine has gone to the great junkheap in the loft... i Brought a refurbished 4000x stereo machine from our great moderator and its a beast of a machine!!!!
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 2:26 pm   #7
Richardgr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulus.d View Post
That Tandberg machine has gone to the great junkheap in the loft...
It was your beloved!!!!
Old 4th Nov 2020, 6:54 pm   #8
Paulus.d
Hexode

It was . . . . but it was a losing battle against age ...this stereo one is my new lover!!!!
Old 12th Nov 2020, 3:52 pm   #9
Audioflyer
Diode

This high temperature epoxy should work for repairing lifted tracks and pads. JB WELD MAC8265-S-TEX 8265-S
Closed Thread