UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2012, 9:59 pm   #1
whereistom
Retired Dormant Member

Default 332 - rings but no dial tone.

Hi,

I've tried converting a 332 following the instructions at http://antiquephones.blogspot.co.uk/...telephone.html but without success.

The phone rings but I don't get a dial tone, lifting the receiver doesn't stop it ringing and (obviously, as I don't get a tone) I can't dial out.

I'm pretty sure everything is wired up correctly (see photos). Line cord is:
White - T1
Red - T9
Blue - T11

Note that line cord green is cut rather than connected to a spare terminal - this shouldn't be a problem?

The handset is wired as follows:
White - T4 to handset M
Green - T6 to handset R
Red - T5 to the unmarked terminal in the centre of the handset

There are straps:
T1 to T2
T8 to T9
3.3K resistor T11 to T12 (note this is a strap in the photo - I was testing)

One observation, which I'm not sure is a symptom or not, is that I'm hearing a buzz through the earpiece - even when the phone isn't connected. This doesn't seem right to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	71695   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	71696   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	71697  
Old 20th Oct 2012, 10:10 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: 332 - rings but no dial tone.

Are you really hearing a buzz in the earpiece when the phone is not connected? I can't see how that's possible. Do you mean that you hear a buzz when the phone is on hook?

Your problem is down to a break in the calling loop. You need to check the continuity of it with a meter. Most likely down to dirty or maladjusted switch hook contacts, or possibly the transmitter (mic) is open circuit.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st Oct 2012, 10:12 am   #3
whereistom
Retired Dormant Member

The phone is not plugged in, hasn't been plugged in since around 9.30pm last night (ie over 12 hours ago), and there is a slight buzz coming from the receiver.

Thanks for the tips. My electronics knowledge is poor, and I will need to learn how to use a meter first! So if I can't find an obvious answer I'll probably have to leave this one for a few weeks now until I get a bit of time.
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 1:02 am   #4
jjwayle
Tetrode

Your 332 isn't near a TV, cordless telephone or anything with a switched mode power supply? I've had old phones with those older receiver inserts pick up noise in them from the above when not plugged in. Although that's not a problem and unlikey to be the no dial tone prob.

Station X is right, most likely a dirty contact or break in continuity.
Old 25th Oct 2012, 7:42 am   #5
whereistom
Retired Dormant Member

Hi jjwayle - baby monitor! I realised the baby monitor was sitting on a shelf near where I was working on the phone, and I think that's what was causing it. You're right - nothing to do with the general problems, but at least there's no actual ghost on the line .
Closed Thread