UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2006, 12:30 am   #1
5SC
Triode

Default BVWS Archive

In the current issue of the Bulletin a correspondent advocates setting up an archive of the many minor UK radio companies active from the 1920's to the 1950's. What are the forum members views on this and how would they think this would be best achieved?
Would for instance, a BVWS linked website to which enthusiasts could contribute their knowledge of a particular concern, be a route to take ?

5SC
Old 13th Feb 2006, 9:24 am   #2
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: BVWS Archive

The first starting point is to find people with the necessary time and interest to gather the information. IIRC the chap in that particular letter has researched a few small companies (Seymour springs to mind) and has spent considerable time on it (couple of years?). There is a another thread where people would volunteer to help out with aspects of the BVWS but for this kind of project it really would need someone with real interest in the subject - I'd be interested in the results, but not interested enough to do all the legwork I'm afraid.

Quote:
Would for instance, a BVWS linked website to which enthusiasts could contribute their knowledge of a particular concern, be a route to take ?
In theory, yes. Although this hasn't been discussed within the BVWS, I'd be suprised if the BVWS wouldn't support such a thing, probably via the BVWS website (and before Paul Stenning jumps in here I'd volunteer to do it).

But in practice people generally won't bother. I made a start on covering every British TV manufacturer and hoped that people would help contribute to it, be it knowledge of the companies, phot's of sets, etc, but the silence has been deafening (with a few notable exceptions).

TTFN,
Jon
Old 14th Feb 2006, 11:44 pm   #3
5SC
Triode

Default Re: BVWS Archive

Oh dear, Jon paints a depressingly negative picture of the possibilities for an archive of small British radio companies ! Sadly he may well be right for the reality is that most good voluntary work is done by a hard core of dedicated individuals and this very worthwhile project will probably be little different.

Any other views?

5SC
Closed Thread