UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2010, 12:21 pm   #1
mini670
Retired Dormant Member

Default 1/726F Conversion, having a few problems

Hi,

Im a new member on this forum, I came across it whilst searching for information on my 1/726F. Ive most the threads in this section of the forum, and come away with some really useful info. I have sucesfully converted a 746, and a 706, but im strugling with my latest addition.

Ive wired the phone up as per a 710 model. The website "www.britishtelephones.com" states that the 726F is `SIMILAR TO 710, BUT WITH PUSH BUTTON D.C. SIGNALLING`.

Im slightly unsure what D.C. signalling is. The phone will recieve calls, but will not ring out. I have a dial tone, when a button is pressed I get a click in the ear piece, but no pulses. Sometimes halfway through dialing a number the phone will seemingly cancel off and revert back to a standard dialing tone.

The extra circuit board above the contact tabs contains a relay, but this does not seem to operate. Im i right in presuming that board is the D.C. signalling part, and the relay should provide the pulses?

Any help would be great.

Cheers
Tom

Ive added a few photos showing the phone and circuits (sorry about the grain on the photos)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	726-1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	36517   Click image for larger version

Name:	726-2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	36518   Click image for larger version

Name:	726-3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	36519   Click image for larger version

Name:	726-4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	36520  

Last edited by Dave Moll; 31st May 2010 at 3:53 pm. Reason: embedded images converted to thumbnails
Old 31st May 2010, 5:22 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: 1/726F Conversion, having a few problems

DC signalling (also known as Code C) was an extension of earth recall functionality. Depressing keys connected the A and B wires to earth directly or via diodes. Each of the two wires could be in any of 4 states (anode to earth, cathode to earth, short or open) giving 16 possibilities (one of which is the normal state and one of which is just an earth recall state).

It was used on some PABXes, but never on the PSTN -- adding the functionality at the exchange to receive DC signalling would have been too expensive, and long lines might have made the system unreliable. Pushbutton phones for PSTN operation were made to use LD signalling at first, because this was known to be robust; then DTMF support was added as exchanges were upgraded to digital

The only way you will be able to make calls from this phone will be to use a hand-held DTMF keypad.
Old 31st May 2010, 7:17 pm   #3
mini670
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 1/726F Conversion, having a few problems

Thankyou for your reply AJS.
It seems I have an awful lot to learn about how telephone systems worked back in the day.

I have researched some of the acronyms you used in your reply, its made it a lot clearer to me i think.

I am presuming the telephone was intended for internal use only, and maybe went through some seperate equipment to dial out (labels on the phone state; OPERATOR key05, ENQUIRIES key 06, and EMERGENCY key 00)?

looking at http://britishtelephones.com/t726.htm again mentions that the phones were `only used on the following customers premises:Only used on the following customers premises:-`

BP, Harlow.

BP, Brittanica House.

Midland Bank, Lombard St.

ICI, Aberdeen.

ICI, Brockley.
Closed Thread