UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2009, 5:10 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Is it a cap ?

this came from a junk box and seems to behave like a capacitor but it says 'Type 802 resistor'on the front.Here are 2 photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5759.JPG
Views:	1295
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	28311   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5762.JPG
Views:	1262
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	28312  

Last edited by Pete_kaye; 28th Aug 2009 at 5:26 pm.
Old 28th Aug 2009, 5:37 pm   #2
Colin
Heptode

Default Re: Is it a cap ?

I believe Micamold made both caps and resistors in the same brown molded shape. Your example has 'resistor' on the side so I guess it's a resistor (that looks like a cap).
Old 28th Aug 2009, 10:45 pm   #3
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello, how interesting I have some capacitors with the same 'arrow' and paint 'dots' also Micamold, the radio is American and dated 1953.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 29th Aug 2009, 1:23 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The arrow, for a brief moment, made me think it was a diode - then I saw the coloured dots and read Colin's post. Reading Geoff's post, does it mean that same arrow appeared on the moulding regardless of what the component actually is?

The above aside, would I be correct in assuming the arrow (when on a resistor) serves to indicate the sequence of reading the colour codes?
Old 29th Aug 2009, 9:57 am   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Pete,

What colour is it? It was my understanding that resistors of this type were coloured black and capacitors brown.

Anyhow, yes it is a resistor. The arrow indicates the direction in which the dots should be read (in capacitors too), so it's orange (I think), black, brown = 300R

David
Old 29th Aug 2009, 10:17 am   #6
brianc
Rest in Peace

If it's a cap (unlikely) it will be a mica cap (micamould!!) and therefore would be very unlikely to leak. Have you measured it! I bet Dave is correct and that it is a 300R resistor.
Cheers
Brian
Old 29th Aug 2009, 11:22 am   #7
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
Deja vu? There's a similar discussion on this American forum.
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...4fa05301dc5cee
From which it would appear that just to confuse everybody Micamold made resistors and paper caps as well as mica ones.
Yours, Richard
Old 29th Aug 2009, 1:01 pm   #8
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hi back again, I have managed to find what I was looking for because having a mind like a computer I had lost it. IT is
www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
If you wade through it to 'HOW TO' just below the heading is 'reading component color and numerical codes etc. ( or something close to that!) which explains the coloured 'dot' system. Might be useful.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 1st Sep 2009, 2:31 pm   #9
Pete_kaye
Octode

Interesting....however i should have said it is brown not black and goes off the scale when connected to the 2Meg range and then has small voltages droping rapidly on a DMM.So not 300R!There were 300PF caps in the circuit which is what the dots say.I just don't know what a type 802 resistor is .Can a resistor fail and exhibit Cap properties.
Old 2nd Sep 2009, 9:31 pm   #10
Barry Lloyd
Retired Dormant Member

I looked up the patent number on this components (see http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationD...C&locale=en_gb ). It is for a grid leak resistor. Clearly, 300 ohm is much too low for this function.
Could the brown be a faded green and actually it is a 3 meg resistor? Or maybe it's just open-circuit?

Barry
Closed Thread