UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2008, 11:31 pm   #1
retroaudio
Pentode

Default KB Pup. AC version

Hi I have acquired one of these and was looking for some general advice

1) What would be a good replacement speaker cloth in keeping with the radio

2) there are input sockets up each side 4 up one side on a paxolin strip with a wander plug. two on the other. The 4 appear to govern wave change but I am unsure if I am using the set correctly.

3) does anyone have a circuit diagram of the AC version

Thanks Alex
Old 24th Nov 2008, 6:57 am   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: KB Pup. AC version

Sid Chaplin is probably the best source for replacement speaker cloth. The cloth on my "New Pup" is plain with a fairly open weave (and not in very good condition).

Is this the model 397A?

If so it is the "New Pup" and Paul Stenning has the manual available for £1.99 from the link at the top of the page.

The sockets on the side are for aerial connection and allow for different sensitivity depending on the length of aerial and signal strength available.

Regards,
Old 24th Nov 2008, 8:38 pm   #3
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Alex
If its the older AC pup, two valve + rectifier, speaker to front with speaker adjustment in middle and tuning and reaction knobs on top. See this tread. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...&highlight=pup

With the help of Ed Dinning and Jim Beacon I have drawn the circuit.
PM me with your e-mail address if its any good to you.

Frank
Old 24th Nov 2008, 9:27 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Alex, I have the bits for one of these, minus the power supply, so any pictures you could post would be much appreciated.
The tuning and reaction caps on mine needed stripping and re-building ( a fiddly job) to get them to work properly. The same fault was present on one that a pal of mine had.
Another thing to watch out for is poor contacts on the valve holders. This set was built down to a price and corrosion can get in everywhere; nevertheless a simple circuit that should be easy to get working and give reasonable local station results.

Ed
Closed Thread