UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2008, 2:38 am   #1
aturner
Retired Dormant Member

Default 1950's valve Blaupunkt Frankfurt, barely audible FM

I have a Blaupunkt Frankfurt valve car radio circa 1954/55 that (I'm told) works but FM is barely audible. I bought it earlier this year with a view to installing it in my 1955 VW Beetle once it's repaired.

I have 30 odd years experience in electronic repair but the past 25 years of that is confined to digital equipment. I'd like to have a go at repairing this myself so I'm here asking for help.

Firstly, I need a schematic since I'm not 100% certain where to shove the power in! I know this radio works on 6v but it may also work on 12v so there's the first costly mistake I want to avoid! Any ideas where I can get a schematic, please?

From spending some time reading the great radio servicing guides on here, I'm going to start by testing "high value" (>0.5uF) capacitors and replacing with new where appropriate. With the aid of a schematic I'll check the PSU rails etc. too. I guess it can't hurt to re-seat the valves as well, or are they best left undisturbed?

This radio employs an external 'vibrator'; can I readily test that before connecting it to the rest of the set or am I being unnecessarily paranoid?

Here are a few pics of the set and the vibrator:

Also, is that a bad capacitor on the top row of the tag-board?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	21306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	21307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	21308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	21309  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Nov 2008 at 9:40 am. Reason: Embedded images removed as unnecessary.
Old 15th Nov 2008, 1:48 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: 1950's valve Blaupunkt Frankfurt, barely audible FM

Hello,

I should check the output from the power supply and then replace all the wax capacitors (0.001 - 0.05uF), get some Servisol 10 switch cleaner and use it to clean the valve pins, potentiometers and switches and then see how the radio performs.

This car radio was released in 1954/5, and it was tailored for different brands of German cars including Mercedes and Porsche-VW. Quite a find that, an FM car radio from 1954 !

Howard

Last edited by howard; 15th Nov 2008 at 1:59 pm.
Old 15th Nov 2008, 7:32 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, the vibrators do appear to suffer with dirty contacts with age and they are not easy to clean; even when cleaned it may not last.
I think there was a thread here some time ago that showed how to convert a vibrator to drive MOSFETs, which in turn switched the transformer. This reduced the load on the contacts and allowed good performance.

Ed
Old 15th Nov 2008, 8:50 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

About 10 months ago I repaired/overhauled one of these Frankfurts, and(as Howard says) I replaced all the waxed paper capacitors, but also the main reservoir/smoothing capacitor and the selenium rectifier(located in the power pack) plus other electrolytics. I don't recall any specific FM/VHF problems, though. If memory serves right the FM front end is built around an ECC 85(to the left of the upper IF Transformer in photo 1), and it may be worth sustituting this valve and/or checking it's associated circuitry. I have circuit diagrams somewhere, which I obtained from www.radiomuseum.org
Closed Thread