UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2008, 5:09 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Ivory paint on Philips 371A knobs ?

Hello,

I am currently writing up my restoration of a Philips 371A for the Success Stories column as the set (except for its badge) is finished. In Tony Thompson's excellent book there's a nice picture of a 371A and its round knobs have ivory paint decoration on them. Every other 371A I can find pics of don't have that decoration, indeed I couldn't find any trace of paint on the knobs on my 371A except for the waveband knob. I have painted them now, and with difficulty cos there's not really a place on them for a coachline, so does the 371A really have painted round knobs ? If not I'll take it off as I don't think it looks right.

Howard
Old 11th Nov 2008, 9:44 pm   #2
helmsman
Tetrode

Default Re: Ivory paint on Philips 371A knobs ?

Hi Howard
My 371a does not have painted knobs. Only the wave change knob on the right hand side has a single painted line. Terry
Old 11th Nov 2008, 10:15 pm   #3
maitiustandun
Pentode

hi howard, its possible that the white circles on the knobs had worn away from sixty years of use regards maitiu.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 10:17 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Thanks Terry,

That's one without paint decoration on the knobs.

The Philips sets built in Holland and Switzerland in the same designed case did have painted knobs but were also painted around the dial but not along the top and bottom of the case....

Does anyone actually have a 371A with decorated round knobs ? I shall keep the lid on my Nitromors paint stripper can until tomorrow evening .....

Howard
Old 11th Nov 2008, 10:23 pm   #5
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hmm... Are the circles painted on the centre face of the knob? I would have thought there would still be traces of the paint if they where as it would only be the sides that get worn by fingers.

Cheers
Lee
Old 11th Nov 2008, 10:26 pm   #6
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitiustandun View Post
hi howard, its possible that the white circles on the knobs had worn away from sixty years of use regards maitiu.
Hello Matt,

That is a possibility, particlularly the knobs on the front which would have had the most wear and tear. There was none though on the round tone control knob on the left-hand side yet almost all the original paint had survived on the waveband knob on the right-hand side, as had the paint on all the 371A waveband knobs that I've seen seen to date

Howard
Old 11th Nov 2008, 10:35 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb View Post
Hmm... Are the circles painted on the centre face of the knob? I would have thought there would still be traces of the paint if they where as it would only be the sides that get worn by fingers. Cheers Lee

Hello Lee,

This is how the knob on the 371A in Tony Thompson's book appears ...

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...1&d=1226439196

I agree with you, the paint is tucked well inside the surface of the knob so wouldn't have been exposed to much wear, but then it might simply have dropped out ....

Hiward
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_371A_finished_knob 001.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	21215  
Old 11th Nov 2008, 10:49 pm   #8
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

There is an article about the restoration of a 371A in the BVWS Bulletin, Vol 32 No2 2007, page 23. That set had its knobs painted although the restorer was unsure if this was original, looks OK but... .

Regards, Mick.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 10:55 pm   #9
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo View Post
There is an article about the restoration of a 371A in the BVWS Bulletin, Vol 32 No2 2007, page 23. That set had its knobs painted although the restorer was unsure if this was original, looks OK but... .
Regards, Mick.

Thanks Mick,

maybe that's the one in Tony Thompson's book ! I still have my doubts that that's correct. Probably the only way of confirming the original finish is to see a pic of the set in some 1948 sales literature.

Howard
Old 11th Nov 2008, 11:02 pm   #10
yestertech
Nonode

Definitely not ! I have seen quite a number of these sets ( also have had three thro' the workshop ) and the paint has not present on any of them - indeed as you say there is nowhere on the moulding to run a paint line into - There were some Philips sets which had these but these knobs are moulded differently.

Andy
Old 11th Nov 2008, 11:09 pm   #11
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by setsappeal View Post
Definitely not ! I have seen quite a number of these sets ( also have had three thro' the workshop ) and the paint has not present on any of them - indeed as you say there is nowhere on the moulding to run a paint line into - There were some Philips sets which had these but these knobs are moulded differently. Andy
Thanks Andy,

I reckon you're spot-on and so I will clean off the paint tomorrow. I personally think it looks better with the plain knobs.

Howard
Old 12th Nov 2008, 10:42 am   #12
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Hi Howard !
I, for one, would use a mechanical way to remove the paint rather than a chemical one. You can easily melt this old plastic with any solvent...
Just my 2 cents....
Old 12th Nov 2008, 11:05 am   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I agree with Andy etc. i.e. no paint on the round knobs.

BTW, the "tramlines" on the set itself take seconds to do if you carefully mask the edges with well pushed-down Sellotape first.

Tony's book is fantastic and contains loads of really beautiful photos, but as you would probably expect, a few of the more heavily-restored sets have wrong knobs or grille cloths, for example.

Nick.
Old 12th Nov 2008, 12:05 pm   #14
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesgiralt View Post
Hi Howard !
I, for one, would use a mechanical way to remove the paint rather than a chemical one. You can easily melt this old plastic with any solvent...
Just my 2 cents....
Hello Georges,

I got the paint off, a gentle soak in warm water with mild detergent for 10 minutes and it peeled off easily. Nitromors is safe to use on bakelite but will destroy most other plastics, so yes, one should be careful using it as many radios had bakelite cases but their knobs were made from other plastics.

Howard
Old 12th Nov 2008, 12:15 pm   #15
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I agree with Andy etc. i.e. no paint on the round knobs. BTW, the "tramlines" on the set itself take seconds to do if you carefully mask the edges with well pushed-down Sellotape first. Tony's book is fantastic and contains loads of really beautiful photos, but as you would probably expect, a few of the more heavily-restored sets have wrong knobs or grille cloths, for example. Nick.
Hello Nick,

Sometimes I use my Tamiya masking tape to mask off coachlines but one always gets some leakage and it's still necessary to scrape off a little paint along the edges. I don't use sellotape cos it leaves goo behind when it's removed.

I often use Tony's book as a reference and it really is excellent ..... but then I would say that as many of the pics in it are of my sets

Howard
Closed Thread