UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2008, 11:38 am   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Bakelite 4-pin connector

I think this could be classed as a compenent...

I couldn't resist temptation yesterday at my local auction and bought a toolbox largely filled with old bakelite plugs, sockets, adaptors etc.

Along with all the usual 5-amp and 15-amp stuff, I found the connector pictured below, of which I have never seen the like before - and I would love to find out a bit more about it (such as what it would have been used for).

The larger terminal on the left is marked with an earth symbol (and the corresponding position on the other moulding - not visible without x-ray vision - confirms this with the letter "E"). Despite appearances, the other three terminals are the same size - the right-hand one looks larger simply because the middle two are set further back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-pin-plug.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	19313  
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 12:08 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Bakelite 4-pin connector

The fact that the pins are recessed into the housing suggests it's definitely for taking power into an appliance.

It's most probably a sewing machine connector. It would have carried two three-core cables, hence the wide entry slot; one from the mains with steady live (needed for the lamp), neutral and earth; and one to/from the foot pedal, with steady and switched lives and earth. The earth pin is a different size for polarisation, and to ensure that it engages first.
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 1:06 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
The fact that the pins are recessed into the housing suggests it's definitely for taking power into an appliance.
Yes, I should have said that the "pins" are female, so this clearly is (as suggested) the half of the connector which would be connected to the appliance rather than the supply.

And yes, neutral, live and switched live was my thought for the use of the other three connections.

Incidentally, even without the earth connector being bigger, the plug would be non-reversible owing to the offset of the two middle pins.

Here's the end-on view:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-pin-plug-end.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	19314  
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 9:39 am   #4
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Yes, it's a sewing machine connector, probably 50's to 60's.
The modern ones are a lot larger and fancy now.
Mike.
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 12:54 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

As we've established that it's for a sewing machine (although the Singer electric sewing machines in my collection use a 3-pin connector and no earth) and not related to the areas of interest of this forum, I'll draw this query to a close with thanks to those who have replied.