UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2020, 7:13 am   #1
Gabe001
Octode

Default Marconi radio broadcast that 'changed the world' to be recreated - BBC news, today

Bring those Marconi sets out.

BBC Essex is broadcasting a Marconi Special on Monday from 18:00 to 22:00 BST, including a live link-up with Chelmsford Civic Theatre where Anna Steiger will recreate the historic performance at 19:10 BST
Old 15th Jun 2020, 8:07 am   #2
Alvin
Heptode

Default Re: Marconi radio broadcast that 'changed the world' to be recreated - BBC news, toda

If like me you haven't got a clue as to what 'the historic performance' is click here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-52971057
Old 15th Jun 2020, 12:17 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi radio broadcast that 'changed the world' to be recreated - BBC news, toda

They still had a call sign back then, Two Emma Toc (2MT), Marconi Writtle. One of the best quotes about that day is before then, if you heard someone live you were in the room with them!
Old 15th Jun 2020, 1:20 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

The suspension spring on Nellie Melba's (carbon?) microphone has been replaced with string or wire. I wonder if there was an acoustic reason for the modification, or perhaps, like all prima donnas, she flatly refused to stand on a box.
Old 15th Jun 2020, 4:32 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

It was for insulation I believe, I read somewhere that the mic was live!
Old 15th Jun 2020, 5:19 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

This item about the actual first lady to sing in a broadcast may be of interest.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Marconi first broadcast .pdf (228.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 16th Jun 2020, 12:32 am   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

I did manage to watch the live stream on youtube . They had severe problems with live sound synch- almost 10 seconds slip for me ( ok when rewinding rather than live), and video in the second half consisted of a few still frames. I thought it was a problem with my connection. However, from the live comments the problem was at their end, and they may have to re-record the performance for youtube. A shame, as it was interesting, and worth listening to.
Old 19th Jun 2020, 11:54 am   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

Extract from email just received from Chelmsford City Theatres:

Thank you to all who tuned in on Monday to watch the live stream of The Power Behind the Microphone. Unfortunately, just like the original broadcast in 1920, we had our own technical difficulties but - don't worry - we now have the performance up on YouTube for you to watch at anytime.

Thank you for bearing with us on the night, we hope you enjoy watching it as much as we enjoyed making it.

PS. From comments on the original live feed it appears that the microphone etc. were not the originals (they are now in the museum Oxford) but stage props.

Last edited by emeritus; 19th Jun 2020 at 12:01 pm. Reason: Typos
Old 19th Jun 2020, 6:25 pm   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

https://youtu.be/h5hO9PsxJwM?t=1429

The video stream degenerated into a series of stills at about 34 min.

The famous station ident "Hello CQ this is two emma toc Writtle" is here:

https://youtu.be/h5hO9PsxJwM?t=4257

Great stuff.
Closed Thread